Style > Fashion

10 Layering Tips and Tricks to Bring the Wow to your Winter Wardrobe

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Western chapter.

I cannot be the only one who gets a lot of fashion inspo from TikTok. My For You Page has basically become a personalized channel streamlining outfits, eats, and all other kinds of ideas right into my oh-so-open arms. I am the most willing of consumers, and find myself continuously inspired by various influencers. Lately, it seems that layering is all the rage, with winter fashion, and snowy weather, in full tilt. Further, I have been seeing lots of references to Danish style, and their effortlessly chic and warm winter layering techniques. Vogue Scandinavia actually outlines a Danish guide to layering, which includes a foolproof outline to achieving the perfect layered look. The four components are the base layer, the blazer, the coat and the knit. The base layer is described as a thin material and long-sleeved, whereas the next layer, the blazer, really starts to elevate your look. Top it off with an oversized jacket and a large scarf as your knit, and voila! Chef’s kiss, if you will. A simple formula to follow this winter season. With this knowledge in hand and an abundance of TikToks to reference, I’ve been left feeling rather inspired to spice up my look this winter with the best layering tips I can find. 

So…here I am, calling anyone who can relate to me when I say I love fashion, but hate winter. There is nothing worse than sacrificing your warmth for a fit. I mean, when you look good, you feel good, but it doesn’t feel good when you can’t actually feel anything at all (e.g., your whole abdomen is numb because you wanted to wear a crop top in the sub-zero arctic conditions of January). However, winter wear can be chic, all thanks to the power of layering. With a few simple tricks and staples you probably already have kicking around, you can elevate your style this winter by making no sacrifices. 

1. The Trusty Turtleneck

If you don’t have a turtleneck as a staple of your winter wardrobe, what is even up? Now is a better time than ever to invest in one. Need an easy place to start? Try your neighbourhood thrift store; they usually have a few hanging around. A good turtleneck in a solid neutral colour (i.e. black, white, grey, cream, tan or brown) will work as an added layer of warmth for any winter outfit. Want to elevate your favourite oversized hoodie? Turtleneck. Want to wear your favourite summer tank in February? Pop a turtleneck under it. Even dresses look great over top of a turtleneck layer. If you are not one for basics or neutrals, maybe indulge in a statement turtleneck, with a pop of colour or pattern to really add a “wow” factor to your layering. 

2. Repurposing Your Sports Bra

If you haven’t seen it on TikTok already, let me introduce you to this trend. Everyone loves their favourite sports bra. Snug comfort, am I right? This hack literally blew my mind, and looks great. Start with a base layer if you please, and add your favourite sports bra on top. Then, pick an oversized sweater or knit and tuck it into the elastic band of your sports bra for a cute, cropped, but still warm look. If you chose to go with a base layer, the effect of it peeking out from underneath the now cropped sweater adds a perfect amount of depth to your look. I personally love this hack when paired with a statement pant that you want to draw some more attention to. 

3. Cropped Base Layers

With all the layers you may need to survive a winter day, things can get too bulky, too hot, and uncomfortable. To combat this, choosing cropped pieces as your starting or base layers can reduce bulk caused by several full-length or oversized pieces. Try starting with a cropped t-shirt, cropped tank or cropped turtleneck as your base layer. Save the bulk but keep the style. 

4. Buckle In and Button-up 

Let’s not underestimate the power of a good button-up. Whether a neutral or statement, add a button-up layer on top of your base layer, or under a sweater for the collar to pop through. Button it up or leave it effortlessly unbuttoned to spice up your look. Adding a patterned button-up can really add a pop to your outfit, as it will peak out from under whatever winter jacket or trench you pair with it. For a preppy look, try your button-ups under a sweater vest. You really can’t go wrong deciding which layer you want your button-up to be a part of. Over or under? Why not try both? 

5. Twice the Tights

If you can’t help but wear a skirt or dress in the middle of winter, do not fret; there is a warm solution to your situation. Try doubling up on tights. First, start with a thicker pair of tights (maybe fleece-lined) that match your skin tone or are sheer. Next, layer on top of those with your desired tights, maybe a semi-sheer black tight or a patterned tight. This way, the aesthetic of your look is preserved, and so is the circulation in your legs. 

6. Statement Socks

If doubling up on tights is something that would rock your dress- or skirt-wearing world, then you will love this one. Socks over your tights. Stay with me now. Taking the fashion world by storm are multiple influencers and models wearing socks on top of their tights, so it peeks out just beyond their footwear and adds a little something to the look. Try a black sock over a semi-sheer or lace tight, to bring eyes to those legs and accentuate whatever boots, sneakers or loafers you are rocking. Not to mention, I feel like the return of leg warmers is on the horizon, and I couldn’t be happier. Leg warmers keep those legs warm, so you could even swap your statement socks for a pair of those as well. Pro-tip: try matching the colour of your socks with your other accessories (like a hat or scarf). 

7. Monochromatic Looks

Not everyone is on board with this trend, but that’s okay. You’ve seen matching sweatsuits, and probably other monochromatic looks too, but the common denominator between all good monochromatic looks is the success of the layering and all the pieces involved. An easy way to make your layering look more posh is to stick with a colour palette or wear different shades of the same colour. Want to look like the clothes you are wearing are more expensive than they are? Try a cream or black monochromatic layered look. I think this is one of the best tips to follow to look put together. 

8. Oversized Coats

The simplest answer to fitting a coat over several layers is opting for an oversized one. I don’t know if it’s just me, but the trend of oversized outerwear just does it for me. Elongate your silhouette and still stay warm? It’s a win-win. Oversized blazers, puffers and trenches alike, pick your poison, and boost your fit. 

9. Bralettes, Bra Tops, and Corsets

You might have to muster your confidence for this one. Something super cool and chic to try this season is layering your favourite bralette or bra-top on top of one of your layers (e.g., on top of a turtleneck). In my personal opinion, corsets are also still very much in, so try layering with one of those as well. You can still wear your favourite summer party top, both subdued and complemented by your other warm winter layers. A great look is always a bra top and blazer combo, and good news is, you can still pull this off with a layering top underneath. Change the narrative this winter by turning your undergarments to outer garments. 

10. Scarves, Scarves, Scarves

If your fit was ice cream, a scarf would be the cherry on top. A perfect finishing touch, if you will. This winter season, scarves are it. 2016 Blanket Scarf You could never. Try topping off your look with an oversized neutral toned scarf or a bolder one for a statement. Also, a good plaid never goes out – don’t forget it. There are endless ways to wrap and style your scarf, so experiment, and if you are like me, turn to TikTok for some help and inspiration.

Okay. The way I see it, you are either brainstorming right now, or rolling your eyes, and fair enough. If you are like me, you are brainstorming how you could pull some of this off with your current closet. Or, like I guessed you are rolling your eyes, thinking that you will never achieve the chic Vogue-esque, model off-duty, winter look. While it is true that neither of us will ever be Matilda Djerf or Bella Hadid, elevating your winter style may help you further your own brand. By integrating some of these fool-proof tips, making it through the rest of the winter may become easier than you, or I, had imagined. It is only February after all. 

Victoria is a second year science undergrad at Western University. She is a lover of organics, "soul food", and people who make you laugh. A few of her passions are writing, music, fashion, food & holistic medicine.