So You Think You’ve Got Ants In Your Pants

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Western chapter.

I think most of you ladies will agree with me when I say that we’ve all experienced a little tickle down in our lady bits before. Maybe just a slight itch, an annoyance more than anything really, which dissipated after a moment or two, but for some this may have been a longer-lasting, multi-day ordeal which gave you the spooks. Believe me when I say that it’s most likely nothing to worry about. The most common causes for vaginal discomfort and irritation can be as simple as using the wrong body wash or feminine hygiene products. However, it’s always better safe than sorry when it comes to caring for your honey pot, and therefore a trip to your doctor is always a good idea.  

Below you will find a list of the most common causes for vaginal itching and some tips on what to do for each.

1. Bacterial Vaginosis

This is the most common cause of vaginal itching and discomfort, and is more ordinary than most believe. Bacterial Vaginosis is caused by an imbalance in healthy bacteria of the vagina and a change in vaginal pH levels (acidity). Lauren Steicher, M.D., author of Sex Rx: Hormones, Health, and Your Best Sex Ever, recommends RepHresh, an OTC cream, saying that it works well for treatment of Bacterial Vaginosis. If irritation persists after recommended dosage and usage time, a visit to your doctor for prescription medication would be your next logical move.

2. Hormones and Hormonal Changes

Vaginal dryness and irritation are indicators that your pain and discomfort is due to a simple change in hormone levels. These changes in hormones are often caused by menstrual cycle, the birth control pill, menopause, and pregnancy. During your period, many feminine hygiene products containing dyes and fragrances, which can further add to your irritation. If this occurs, a simple solution would be to try using organic cotton pads and tampons and to avoid all products with fragrances and dyes. If the birth control pill is the cause of your vaginal discomfort (which may be a tad more difficult to determine), a good option would be to chat with your doctor about switching pills or trying a hormonal cream to help ease the itching.  

3. Vaginal Yeast Infection

Yeast infections, according to the Mayo Clinic, will affect 3 out of every 4 women at some point in their lives. This common infection is caused by an overgrowth of Candida, which is a genus of yeast that is naturally occurring microorganism in the vagina region. This overgrowth of yeast is due to the imbalance of lactobacillus, another bacteria which maintains healthy bacterial levels in your system. A lack of lactobacillus can happen due to antibiotics, pregnancy, uncontrollable diabetes, weak immune system, poor eating habits (especially an overload of sugary foods), hormonal imbalance near your menstrual cycle, stress, and lack of sleep. Vaginal yeast infections are easily cured with a simple 3-day treatment involving either antifungal cream, ointment, tablet or suppository. These antifungal medications can be found in either prescription or over-the-counter form.   

4. Contact Dermatitis

This extremely easy to treat skin irritation is caused by allergic reactions to certain products, especially ones which contain perfumes and additives, and can also be the cause of shaving. This common skin irritation may also include redness of the skin, swelling, and thickening of the skin. If you know that you are prone to skin irritability and vaginal irritability, use hypoallergenic hygiene products such as fabric softeners, body wash, shampoo, and laundry detergent. Furthermore, try to avoid the use of products containing chemical ingredients and opt for natural solutions when choosing lube and other products which may find themselves in the vaginal area.

Although vaginal discomfort and irritation is more often than not nothing to stress about (if one practices safe sex), it is important to remember that these are just some of the possible causes of vaginal irritation and it is important to always seek medical attention if the issue persists.    

This is the contributor account for Her Campus Western.