Nadine Alaloul: Activist, Writer, Poet, Foodie

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Western chapter.

Name: Nadine Alaloul

Age: 20

Program: Honors Specialization in Criminology and a Minor in Migrant and Refugee Studies

Hometown: London, Ontario

Tell me about yourself and all the things you do at Western.

I’m outgoing and I love to take up different opportunities and adventures. I like to keep myself involved with the Western community: I write for Her Campus Western Ontario, I’m a peer mentor with the Leadership and Academic Mentorship Program, I’m VP Events for a human rights club on campus, Solidarity for Palestinian Human Rights, and I’m an active member of the SALSA club and Pre-Law society.

What is your favorite thing to do in London?

My favorite thing to do is walk around Victoria Park, have nature walks around the UWO trails, and salsa either with the SALSA club at Western or downtown!

What did you do this summer?

I traveled around the Middle East. I went to Jordan and Palestine to visit family and celebrate three of my cousin’s weddings. I also went to Abu Dhabi and Dubai to visit my older sister!

What is your motto?

There are two quotes I try to always remember and live by: 

“The world will not be destroyed by those who do evil, but by those who watch them without doing anything.” This quote always reminds me that I cannot be complacent and apathetic when terrible things are happening in our community and around the world.

“If you cannot love yourself, how can you expect others to love you” and “If you cannot love yourself you cannot love others.” I live by these sayings because it is always a reminder to always choose myself, better myself, and continue to grow through self-love.

Guilty Pleasures?

POUTINEEEE.

What are your favorite things to do in your spare time:

I like to fill up my spare time with reading poetry and urban fantasy, journaling, writing poetry, hanging out with friends, and of course, dancing!

Where is the best place you’ve traveled?

Cancun Mexico or Abu Dhabi. I’m too indecisive.

What is your goal for this year?

My academic goal this year is to continue being on the Dean’s Honor list.  My goal socially it is to continue being involved in the campus community and to hopefully be accepted to an exchange opportunity for 2018. Since the new year just came in, some general goals are to manifest the things I want in life, take up different opportunities, and to continue my journey of self-love and growth.

Ariel graduated from Western University in 2017. She served as her chapter's Campus Correspondent, has been a National Content Writer, and a Campus Expansion Assistant. She is currently a Chapter Advisor and Chapter Advisor Region Leader.