This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Western chapter.

Age: 21

Program:  Currently in HBA1 at Ivey Business School and working towards a dual degree with MIT

Hometown: Thornbury, Ontario

Relationship Status: Single

Tell me about yourself and all the things you do at Western:

I’m in third year and currently in HBA1 at Ivey and have plans to complete a dual degree with MIT. I am obsessed with the great outdoors and am always planning my next adventure (usually it will involve climbing a mountain). I have taken advantage of the many opportunities to get involved at Western. A few of my favourites include playing all-girls flag football intermurals, being the charity representative on the FIMS student council and residence Sophing at Med-Syd Hall. Currently I am very involved in the charity orientation program and am excited for everything to come!

How did you get involved with the Charity team and what is your position?

As a first year student in 2014, I remember loving the energy of Shine Day where hundreds of students flooded the London community to raise awareness and funds for cystic fibrosis- a disease I had just learned about only a couple of days earlier. It was amazing to be a part of a community that was dedicated to giving back and actively seeking change. I knew I wanted to be a part of the Charity Orientation Team since that day back in 2014 and now I get to help plan and facilitate the charity campaigns that will inspire future students to follow in my footsteps. The focus of the Western Charity Orientation Program is to provide first year students with the opportunities to make a positive impact in the community.

I’ve been a part of Western’s Orientation Program for two years now, first as a residence Soph at Med-Syd Hall and then as a member of the Charity Orientation Team. This year I am so excited and grateful to be one of the Charity programming assistants and help lead the 2016 Charity Orientation Program.

What’s your favorite thing to do off campus?

I love going to hot yoga at the Yoga Shack a couple of times a week with friends, they offer great classes at affordable prices for students.

What is your favorite song right now?

I’m going to take this one step further and tell you my favourite song of all time- Landslide by Fleetwood Mac.

Do you have any mottos that you live by?

I’m a firm believer that life is 10% what happens to you and 90% how you react to it. It’s an excerpt of a quote by Charles Swindle about attitude. It has gotten me through a lot of challenging moments in my life.

What do you want to be when you grow up?

I am not exactly sure what I want to be when I grow up but I know that I probably won’t be working in a cubicle. I am interested in working in the outdoor adventure industry so that I can introduce people to the life-changing opportunities there are when you find yourself in nature. I am really interested in social enterprise which bridges the gap between profit and non-profit. I am passionate about exploring the world and finding ways to make it better.  

What do you like about your program?

MIT has given me the tools to be able to think critically about the world we live in and the role media plays in our society. I love how MIT focuses on current issues facing the world and makes you think about them from a variety of perspectives. Although I do not come from a business background, I chose to go to Ivey to challenge myself in ways different then MIT. Ivey has taught me how to think quickly on my feet and work effectively in a team with people from different backgrounds. I love being challenged and both MIT and Ivey have provided me with opportunities to think outside of the box and motivate me to continue to learn outside of the classroom.

What’s your favorite thing to do in your spare time?

ANYTHING OUTSIDE!!! When there’s no snow in London I love trail running beside the Thames River. At home in Thornbury, you can always count on my to be down for a hike or trail run on the Bruce Trail in the summer or skiing in the Winter.

I’m also going through this DIY phase right now where I want to make everything- hit me up for a homemade candle or lip scrub.

What are you watching on Netflix right now/what’s your favorite show?

I know I’m a little late to the party but I’m currently obsessed with The Office. I’ve been watching it non-stop the past couple of weeks… I think my roommates are starting to get worried.

If you could be any type of dog, what type of dog are you?

A golden retriever because they are great watch dogs but lousy guard dogs because they love people way too much to be effective and that is basically me in a nutshell. Also, I’m always shedding my blonde hair.

Any advice for other women at Western?

My biggest piece of advice for women at Western would be to connect with other women who support you and want to see you succeed. Building a network of mutual support is crucial to thriving during university and beyond. Find your girl squad and celebrate each othe

Ariel graduated from Western University in 2017. She served as her chapter's Campus Correspondent, has been a National Content Writer, and a Campus Expansion Assistant. She is currently a Chapter Advisor and Chapter Advisor Region Leader. 
Kellie Anderson is incredibly proud and excited to be Western Ontario's Campus Correspondent for the 2015-2016 year. She is currently in her fourth year of Media Information & Technoculture, and has an overflowing passion for creative writing. While Kellie loves to get wildly creative while writing fictional short stories, she has found that her true passion is in shedding light towards hard-hitting topics like Mental Illness - she believes that writing is the best healer. Kellie has some pretty BIG plans for her future and can't wait to graduate as a Her Campus Alumni! You can contact her at kellieanderson@hercampus.com.