jakob owens B5sNgRtYPQ4 unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
jakob owens B5sNgRtYPQ4 unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

A Makeup Junkie’s Pet Peeves

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Western chapter.

I love makeup, and if another person loves makeup, I love them, simple as that. But the minute they do any of the following, I’m slow dancing in a burning room John Mayer style trying not to cry. Thinking about all the things that annoy me that relate to makeup is already making my skin crawl. By all means, use my products, because it’s one of the best ways to see if you like a product without having to break the bank or go into Sephora only to find out they don’t give samples of a certain product out. Just please be respectful.

Touching my products without asking

My god, please just ask! It takes less than thirty seconds. Obviously, if we’re talking about makeup and you have my Tarte palette in your hand, I’m going to say “yes try it” but if you just open it and start swatching it, you better believe I’m about two seconds away from losing my ish.  

Not respecting my brushes

My brushes, along with many others, say on the handle what they are to be used for. The owner of that brush may follow it, or they may not follow it— nobody else. There is nothing worse than watching a girl use my contour brush for her highlight or her blush, especially if she doesn’t tell me. Then when I go to use it, I have seven different colours on my face.

Not cleaning my brushes after you clearly f*cked up

If you’re going to ruin my system by using my brush for another product, for the love of my sanity, please, please tell me! Or at least clean the brush. I once had a friend use my concealer brush for her shimmery white eye shadow. I couldn’t figure out why my concealer was all sparkly for two days.

Trying my lipstick

Unless we are super close, or I know where your mouth has been in the last 24 hours, please refrain from touching my lipstick to your lips. Since discovering how to contour my mouth and falling in love with my pout, I have a newfound respect for lipstick. So naturally, I have a very expensive collection of lipstick. I don’t want or need to get sick or find out you made out with some nasty dude at dollar beers on Monday… three weeks ago still counts man.

Being wasteful with products

I think it’s safe to assume makeup junkies have an expensive collection of products. My primer alone is $40. So please, start with less and then build up the product. I hate seeing my friends lend out their products to girls just for it to come back significantly less, when you only needed a dime-sized amount of the product.

This is the contributor account for Her Campus Western.