Justyn Jacobs and Long Distance Friendships

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Western chapter.

I am so excited to introduce Justyn Jacobs! Justyn and I went to summer camp together, eventually aging out of being campers and becoming counselors together. Although, we don’t see each other as often as we would like, we still keep in touch, and encourage and admire one another deeply. Justyn is currently a writer for Her Campus Oregon State.

How did you get involved with HC Oregon State?

I got involved with HC because of you, actually. I had always read the articles that you were posting on your Facebook and I loved them so much. I loved writing but never did it a lot, but I knew that I had a lot of opinions that I wanted to share. I remember messaging you that I wanted to write for Her Campus and then you sent me a link to their website. I messaged our VP Madeline and met with her and the rest is history.

What is your favorite thing about HC?

What I love most about HC is the variety. There are so many different topics and opinions that are expressed that show the diversity of our writers and audience. I love the pride I get in having my work published and seeing how people respond to my work. Good or bad, I love to hear what people have to say about my writing. HC has also given me a sense of confidence in my work and opinions, like people actually want to know what I have to say.

What are you hoping to do after graduation/this summer?

My ultimate goal in life is to become a high school government teacher. I have always been passionate about government since my own high school government class, and to be able to pass on that passion to the next generation would give my life meaning. I think that is what I try and really do through my writing. I try and educate people about how the government plays into the current reality of people.

This summer I am hoping to return back to the camp where you and I met!

You have been active in the political realm on your campus. Why is this activism important to you?

As I have said earlier I want to be a government teacher, and I think to be the most effective teacher I need to understand how other people interact with government. Activism is my way of understanding other people’s narratives. It is my way of standing up against things that aren’t right. It is knowing that standing up for others who are being oppressed will never be wrong. Activism is important to me because it is how I can show love and support for strangers who are going through pain or trouble. If I am going to ask my students to challenge the government to be better when it is in the wrong then I have to practice what I preach.

What is the most important thing to remember when maintaining a long distance friendship?

I think what has been the most beneficial to our relationship is that there is a constant flow of love even when we don’t talk. For example, I know that at any moment I can pick up the phone and you are going to be there for me regardless of if it has been months since we have talked. You are always in my thoughts, and I know that I am always in yours. We send each other dog memes or cheesy hearts and honestly, it is those little things that keep us linked to one another. Even though it has been months since we have seen each other, you are always one of my best friends.

Do you think that being long-distance besties has made our relationship stronger?

Absolutely! I think that our friendship was built on being a long distance relationship. We became friends in the course of three weeks then had to spend the rest of the year apart. We learned at the beginning of our friendship how to love each other from afar, but we made it work. We would send each other letters, or gifts, or texts to remind each other that we were in each other’s thoughts. That is key. We learned how to make each other feel special without having to be next to each other. That means our friendship is not just there because it is convenient but because we both genuinely love each other!

If you could be any dog breed, what would you be?

I think that I would be a lab. I am high energy, and strong, independent, and loyal. I can sometimes make a big mess but at the end of the day I will always be there for you!

What is the most important/your favorite life lesson you have learned?

Honestly, it isn’t so much a life lesson as it is a role model that I base a lot of my life decisions off of. I am a big fan of Leslie Knope from “Parks and Recreation,” and I base a lot of what I do off of what Leslie would do. Her character, although fictional, is an inspiration to me and is the kind of person I aspire to be in life. In the show a character says “Leslie Knope is the kind of person who uses favors to help other people,” and I want people to think that about me. Whenever I am thinking about what to do I think WWLKD?

What has been your favorite experience/opportunity in college thus far?

One of my favorites experienced happened after this past election. A lot of people at OSU were hurting and needed support so a couple friends and I went to campus at 1:45AM to be there for support. We had posters of support, notes with love not hate on them and just started spreading love. We had only a couple people at first but by mid-day we had over 50 people around us spreading love and support to other people. That night there were over 300 people. The amount of love I felt that day in the OSU community was inspiring. I will never forget that day for as long as I will live.

If you could have any superpower, what would it be and why?

I think that I would want to be able to control the elements. I have always found a connection with nature and I feel like there is a real strength in the elements. Each element has their own diverse power and I would love to be able to harness that. I was all about the show the Last Airbender, and I think I just really resonate with those powers.

Current beauty trend you are here for?

EYEBROWS! You were the first person to do my eyebrows when we were younger and it was life changing. I like my eyebrows like I like my best friends, strong and powerful.

Ariel graduated from Western University in 2017. She served as her chapter's Campus Correspondent, has been a National Content Writer, and a Campus Expansion Assistant. She is currently a Chapter Advisor and Chapter Advisor Region Leader.