Everything You Need to Know About Western’s Dance Community

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Western chapter.

This is London (TIL) Dance Company

To learn more about TIL, I interviewed Talia Van Everdingen, an executive from this year’s team, and Amy Dvorkin, one of TIL’s executives from the 2015-16 season. Check TIL out on Facebook and Instagram.

Tell me about TIL.

Talia: TIL is a student run dance team, founded in 2011, that represents Western at university dance competitions. TIL competes in hip hop, contemporary, jazz and tap  and is comprised of 35 team members and three executives – Talia Van Everdingen, Dakota Hodgson and Nicole Brunet.

Why did you decide to join TIL?

Amy: Coming to university, I knew that one thing I wouldn’t let change was my love for dance and competing. I chose TIL because it embodies the characteristics of a team that I value – determination, care for one another, no judgment and true friendship. Having graduated from Western this past June, I can honestly say that joining TIL was the best decision I made in my four years at university.

How do Western students join TIL?

Talia & Amy: Each year, TIL holds hip hop and contemporary/jazz auditions where dancers are taught a short routine that the exec team watches to assess if the dancer is a good fit for the team. This year we took 12 new dancers that we are so excited about!

Where can students see TIL’s performances?

Talia & Amy: TIL competes in two university competitions. In addition, TIL always performs at OHM in March. OHM is a charity fashion and dance show that raises money for the Canadian Cancer society. OHM is very important to the team’s history as it is where the founders of TIL came together and decided to create the team.

What’s the best thing about TIL?

Talia: Some of my best friends that I made at Western are from TIL; in fact I have lived with one of my co-captains for the past two years. From late night practices to photo shoots in the snow and road trips to competition, we spend so much time together that all of the girls become so much more than just people you dance with.

Amy: The best thing about TIL is that it is a family – the ultimate support system, a constant source of laughter, and an immeasurable amount of love for each other.

Heat Dance Team

For this interview, I sat down with Celina DeFelice, one of four dance captains on Heat. Check the Heat Dance Team out on Facebook and Instagram.

Tell me a bit about Heat.

Celina: Heat is a competitive dance team that originated from Huron about 15 years ago. Our team of 50 dancers attends all varsity dance competitions in Ontario, competing in a range of styles including jazz, tap, lyrical and contemporary. Heat also has four team captains, each responsible for different organizational tasks and dance genres. Throughout the year, Heat holds events to raise money for studio space, transportation to competitions, photoshoots, and the year end show.

Why did you decide to join Heat?

Celina: I joined Heat in order to keep dancing while still pursuing school. The majority of our team members have danced their entire lives and wanted to continue competitive dance after graduating from high school. Our team really is one big family – we practice, perform and hold events together. I’ve met some of my best friends on this team.

How do Western students join Heat?

Celina: In September dancers audition for three different genres: tap, hip hop, jazz/contemporary. Every team member is placed in a large group dance and from there are selected for small groups.

Where can students see Heat performances?

Celina: Aside from our competitions, students can watch us perform at an end of the year show put on by Western’s Dance Program. On the last Friday of March, we hold an end of the year showcase.

What’s the best thing about Heat?

Celina: Heat allowed me to grow as a dancer, which I didn’t expect. I’m from a small town so getting to work with such a huge variety of dancers was a new experience. Every member of the team motivates and inspires me.

INmotion Dance Team

I interviewed the co-captains – Rachel Poff, Alicia Kay, Tessa Vollebregt, and Hillary Crouse – of INmotion to learn about their team. Check out INmotion on Facebook and Instagram.

Tell me a bit about INmotion Dance Team.

INmotion is a competitive dance team of students at Western University, competing in jazz, contemporary, lyrical, open, acro, and tap. Our season runs from September to March and involves two to three competitions, as well as a year-end show.

Why did you decide to join INmotion?

I decided to join INmotion because I have been dancing my whole life and was not ready to stop. INmotion is a great way for students with a dance background to continue dancing throughout university without the commitment and intensity of studio dancing. This team is also a great way to meet people with similar interests and to stay active.

How do Western students join INmotion?

To join INmotion, Western students must attend the audition held in September and be selected by the captains to join the team.

Where can students see INmotion’s performances?

This year INmotion is participating in competitions in Brampton, Guelph and Milton. The year-end show is held in London. Check out our Facebook page for updates.

What’s the best thing about INmotion?

The best thing about INmotion is the friendship and team support. We strive to create a positive atmosphere for dancers on our team and to spread that positivity to other teams as well.  INmotion has a great balance between fun and dedication, giving us quality routines and even better relationships.

UWO Dance Force

I had the chance to talk to Marissa Battaglia, this year’s Artistic Director of UWO Dance Force. She told me about how the club runs and why she thinks UWO students should join. Check Dance Force out on Facebook and Instagram.

Tell me a bit about UWO Dance Force.

Marissa: Dance Force is a student run club at Western University. Our goal is to give students a chance to continue their love of dance while pursuing their education. At placement day, we watch everyone and place each individual in a class that best suits their dance level. The best thing about our audition process is that no one is cut! Everyone can join the club!

Which dance genres do you perform?

Marissa: Dance Force focuses on jazz and contemporary style for their weekly classes.  However, after second semester, dancers are encouraged to join inter-team numbers where we offer tap, hip hop, ballet, musical theatre, and new this year, acro and afro-jazz.

Why should students join Dance Force?

Marissa: Dance Force is a great way to meet people and make new connections. From attending practice, you become really close with everyone, so it’s a great way to do something you love while also meeting some of your best friends.

How do Western students join Dance Force?

Marissa: In September, we hold core auditions and a placement day where students are placed in a class that is suitable for their dance level. After they join their class, they start attending their weekly classes.

Where can students see Dance Force’s performances?

Marissa: Students can see Dance Force’s performances at our fundraiser events and our end of the year recital at Althouse Theatre.  All proceeds from our fundraiser events and show are donated to a charity that the club votes on at the beginning of the year.

What’s the best thing about Dance Force?

Marissa: The best thing about Dance Force is that it gives everyone an opportunity to dance for fun. Going to dance competitions can be intimidating, and midterm/exam season can be overwhelming, especially if you are in first year.  Dancing is a great way to stay healthy and relieve stress.

Hip Hop Western  

To learn more about Hip Hop Western, I spoke with Willie Leung who told me about the club’s amazing community. Check out Hip Hop Western on Facebook and Instagram.

Tell me a bit about Hip Hop Western.

Willie: Hip Hop Western is one of Western’s largest dance clubs and is comprised of a competitive team, recreational team, and open classes.  Genres of dance include urban hip hop, house, waacking and vogueing. All teams perform at the Urban Dance showcase which takes place in March. For our open classes, we have a different choreographer each week.

Why should students join Hip Hop Western?

Willie: Students should join Hip Hop Western if they want to learn about hip hop culture and dance. Our club is a great foundation for beginners to start learning the style. The goal of Hip Hop Western is to inspire students to begin dancing, and experienced dancers to grow their style.

Where can students see Hip Hop Western’s performances?

Willie: Our performances change each year. We’ve danced at Western Voice, CAISA Fashion Show, and Urban Dance Showcase. You can also watch our dances on YouTube and our other social media.

What’s the best thing about Hip Hop Western?

Willie: The best thing about Hip Hop Western is the community. To be able to fit in with a particular group of people in a big institution like Western is amazing. You meet because you all share the same interest, and become really close friends as a result.

UWO Breakers

Brian Yam  started dancing in his first year at Western with UWO Breakers. Today, he is the president of the club. I sat down with Brian to learn more about the club and why he thinks students should join. Check out UWO Breakers on Facebook and Instagram.

Tell me a bit about UWO Breakers.

Brian: UWO Breakers is a recreational dance club that meets twice a week to teach break dancing to the Western community. Students can join this club with no experience. We teach dancers everything, from movements that can be done while standing up, Top Rock, to more intensive floor steps, Power Moves.

Why did you join UWO Breakers and why do you think students should join?

Brian: I watched a lot of dance videos in high school. In o-week I saw a guy dancing, so I asked him where he learned his moves, which is how I heard about this club. I attended UWO Breakers’ first session and loved it. If you’re a student who loves to listen to music and free style, then this is a perfect club for you. I also recommend this club to people who are shy because break dancing can help you build your confidence.

How do Western students join UWO Breakers?

Brian: After signing up, students can come out to our practices. UWO Breakers holds practices every Tuesday (8-10pm) and Saturday (2-4pm). It is the same class for both days, so students don’t have to go to both.

Where can students see UWO Breakers’ performances?

Brian: Come watch us at practice, we’re always in the UCC basement in front of the book store. In February, we host a battle in the Physics and Astronomy Building where dancers, judges, and DJs come from all over Canada.  We also perform at the Urban Dance Showcase in March.

What’s the best thing about UWO Breakers?

Brian: The community – everyone’s really friendly and people really encourage each other. Everyone’s quirky and shy so it’s easy for people to come up and talk to them. The club is super diverse and welcomes everyone

WOOF Dance Crew

Calvin Quijano is the Artistic Director of WOOF Dance Crew. He told me about his journey through the club and why he thinks others should join. Check WOOF out on Facebook and Youtube.

Tell me a bit about WOOF Dance Crew.

Calvin: WOOF Dance Crew is part of the larger Western Ontario Organization of Filipinos (WOOF) club. It is a recreational dance club that encourages new dancers to come out and learn the basics. Dance genres include hip hop and jazz funk, and can vary depending on the choreographer. WOOF places a huge emphasis on students teaching students, which enhances the community feeling of the club.

Why should students join WOOF Dance Crew?

Calvin: Everyone in WOOF Dance Crew is really friendly and welcoming. We’re always excited to get new dancers – it’s a great opportunity to learn together and to grow as a family and team. When students join WOOF, they have an opportunity to become a choreographer. There’s no limit to the number of choreographers; we just ask that choreographers that come are enthusiastic and have the drive to create something awesome.

Where can students see WOOF Dance Crew’ performances?

Calvin: We have a Youtube channel (The WOOF Channel) and a Facebook page where we post videos. We perform at Western Voice and other large events throughout the year. Our biggest show is Barrio Fiesta where we perform traditional Filipino dances and mix it with modern dance styles. The show always has a theme; in the past, we’ve done Mean Girls, Step Up and the Wizard of Oz.

What’s the best thing about WOOF Dance Crew?

Calvin: The people and the community feeling, Everyone’s super friendly and welcoming.

Swing Kids

I interviewed Diana Varyvoda to learn more about Swing Kids. I loved hearing about the different dance styles they teach, as well as their collaboration with the London Lindyhoppers. Check the Swing Kids out on Facebook.

Tell me a bit about Swing Kids.

Diana: Swing Kids is a group of students that meets twice a week to teach swing dance, Charleston, six count, and eight count. We have different instructors for different practices; one of our instructors is James Booth, the President of London Lindyhoppers. We also do aerial workshops throughout the year where we will bring in instructors from Toronto.

Why should students join Swing Kids?

Diana: Our practices are fun and the dances are easy. We don’t expect you to come in with skills; in fact, we’ll teach you from ground up. For me personally, I started dancing in grade 12 and continued to do so at U of T. I really like the 1920s feel of the styles taught at Swing Kids’ practices. It’s a great workout and awesome opportunity to meet people.

Where can students see Swing Kids perform?

Diana: On several occasions, we’ve been asked to perform. In second semester we’ll be doing our own choreography so that students can perform in talent shows. We will also work together with the Lindyhoppers who often get invited to dance for senior centres.

What’s the best thing about Swing Kids?

Diana: Definitely the community! I’ve made a lot of friends here because we see the same people so regularly.

Megan is a fourth year student at Western University, studying at the Ivey Business School. She one day hopes to pursue a career that merges technology and marketing. In her spare time, Megan loves to dance, write, and travel. 
This is the contributor account for Her Campus Western.