CIBC Run for the Cure is Lacking Students

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Western chapter.

While Western may be bleeding purple on Saturday for Save HOCO, be prepared to feel awash in pink on Sunday, Oct. 2 as Londoners take part in the annual CIBC Run for the Cure.

The 5k or 1k walk or run raises funds for the Canadian Breast Cancer Foundation, but despite such a large student population in the forest city, most participants are not Mustangs.

“Last year we had eight runners on the Western Nursing team and this year we have six signed up online,” says team captain Meghan Bryson.

In the past couple of years, the Western Nursing team has been the top fundraising post-secondary team, but Bryson points out that numbers of participants have been declining.

“I am not sure why there are fewer Western students signed up this year,” says Bryson. She explains that she’s always found it to be a really fun event and a great way to exercise on a Sunday morning.

“Breast cancer affects us all in some way and I have lost both my aunt and grandmother to this disease,” she adds. “By raising even $100, we are making a difference and getting one step closer to finding a cure.”

While fundraisers for medical research are important events to get involved with, perhaps the idea of “walks” and “runs” are more intimidating for people who don’t feel as confident with physical activity.

Relay for Life is an annual fundraiser for the Canadian Cancer Society but is held as an overnight, non-competitive festival-like event. USC Charity Communications Director, Vanshika Dhawan explains that unlike a run, teams fundraise and participate in activities, live music, food and entertainment during the night.

“If someone says ‘I don’t run,’ people won’t push further to get their friends to come out to a run,” she adds.

Dhawan explains that last year over 300 students participated in Relay for Life, but acknowledges that they have the benefit of holding charity events on campus, which is more convenient for students.

“At USC Charity we often discuss the concept of the ‘Western Bubble’ and how many students don’t take the initiative to inform themselves about opportunities to get involved in the London community,” she says.

Dhawan explains that the lack of student participation is something Charity is working to change. They are in the process of starting initiatives to help London organizations better advertise their events to students.

Volunteer Co-Run Director, Brooke McCutcheon says, “The Run for the Cure is not an event supported through the university, making it a little more of an effort for students to participate.”

With the event coinciding with events such as clubs week, it can be difficult to advertise something occurring off-campus.

She adds that while half of this year’s 250 volunteers for the run are students, only about 20 per cent are post-secondary students.

Perhaps in working with the USC Charity, future runs like the CIBC Run for the Cure will see more mustangs in the crowd.

For those still interested in participating in this year’s run though, it’s not too late. Sign-ups for the run are open until Sunday morning. To register, visit cibcrunforthecure.com or register at Victoria Park before 10 a.m. on Oct 2.

Amy Skodak is a first year student at Western University studying English Literature and Creative Writing with a minor in Visual Arts. She is passionate about arts and culture, photography, music, astronomy, travel and adventure. Outside of class she is a reporter for Western TV and writes for the campus newspaper. In her free time you can find her eating macaroons and watching an Audrey Hepburn classic -- Blair Waldorf style.
Ariel graduated from Western University in 2017. She served as her chapter's Campus Correspondent, has been a National Content Writer, and a Campus Expansion Assistant. She is currently a Chapter Advisor and Chapter Advisor Region Leader.