Harry Styles performing at the 2021 Grammy Awards
Photo by Francis Specker / CBS

Who Will Win? Each Song Nominated for Song of the Year at the Grammys!

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at West Chester chapter.

There are some amazing songs up for the prize of Song of the Year at this year’s Grammys. Last year, Silk Sonic’s Leave The Door Open took the winning spot. Now though, new artists and songs are in the running. So, what are they, and which one deserves the top spot? 

abcdefu– Gayle 

It doesn’t surprise me that this song is in the running. abcdefu rose to fame quickly on TikTok, but a lot of this fame was not positive. The song has become a part of many viral tiktok trends. Many use the song to feel empowered after being wronged by someone in their lives. However, many have also criticized the song for having “cringey” and “unoriginal” lyrics. So, although the song may be well known, the public’s hatred for it may not earn it a win. 

About Damn Time– Lizzo

This hit by Lizzo took over TikTok for a long time. This positive, upbeat song lifted everyone’s spirits. Dances were even created, which Lizzo participated in herself. Although it’s a great song, will it compare to the other nominees or is it About Damn Time for this song to win?

All Too Well (10 Minute Version)– Taylor Swift

Taylor Swift, the biggest artist of our time, is up for a nomination, with one of the longest songs of our time. The All Too Well ten minute version is a song that can’t be ignored and Taylor Swift and her music is a cultural phenomenon across the world. However, there are still other songs on the list of nominees, so will it be someone else or will Taylor Swift be remembered as the Song of the Year winner All Too Well. 

As It Was– Harry Styles 

Right up there with Taylor Swift comes Harry Styles’s hit song As It Was. This song was on almost every radio station this summer. It blew up when it was released as the single for Harry Styles’s third album, Harry’s House. Will Harry beat Taylor? Or has he finally gone out of style? 

Bad Habit– Steve Lacy

Steve Lacy has made a habit of creating hits. His song, Bad Habit, has become a hit on the radio and has blown up on TikTok. It has been the basis of many trends, but will the academy take that into account when voting? 

BREAK MY SOUL– Beyonce

Beyonce’s BREAK MY SOUL was a great hit. Her album was a long time coming and she has an even longer list of Grammy nominations and twenty five wins across various categories! Will this be her 26th?

Easy on Me- Adele

One of the slower, but no less beautiful songs in the list, Adele’s Easy on Me has been playing on every radio station. With her iconic Instagram Live Stream moments and generation it might be easy for Adele to snatch this win.     

GOD DID– DJ Khaled

Another one! DJ Khaled is up for another Grammy nomination. This song is one about faith and feeling empowered through faith.  The song also features Jay-Z, Friday, Lil Wayne, Rick Ross, John Legend. Is this DJ Khaled’s best music yet, or will this right minute song be overshadowed? 

The Heart Pt. 5– Kendrick Lamar

After a five year hiatus Kendrick Lamar came back with a new album this year. His song The Heart Pt. 5 is nominated for song of the year. It is quite the long song, detailing perspectives from other rappers about their lives and it is composed of deep commentary. But will Kendrick win the heart of the academy compared to his competitors? 

Just Like That– Bonnie Raitt 

This song is a tear jerker. Bonnie Raitt tells a beautiful story of grief and death through her songwriting and singing. However, will the popularity of the other artist outlast Bonnie’s nomination? Or will her heartbreaking, but powerful story win the day? 

All of these songs are great, and every artist deserves their nomination. In my opinion, if Taylor Swift doesn’t take the crown, Harry Styles will. We will all have to see for ourselves on February 5th. Who do you think will win Song of the Year this year?

Emma Craven

West Chester '25

Emma Craven is on the WCU Her Campus writing team. She is an English major and creative writing minor. She is an ambassador for the WCU College of Arts and Humanities. She also loves, reading, Star Wars, and marine life!