What to Watch While Stuck in Quarantine: Netflix Edition

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at West Chester chapter.

While stuck in this seemingly never-ending quarantine, I hear a lot of people say that they ran out of things to do, becoming bored and wanting to go out. To that I would first like to say, please stay home. For me, I have been buried in schoolwork these past few weeks so I cannot relate. However, if you are bored out of your mind or buried in work, a good way to distract yourself or give yourself some much-needed relaxation is some good, entertaining screen time. Whether you are watching a show or movie, a good combination of incredible acting and amazing writing can suck you into the world they created and convince you to take a break from all that work or boredom. If you are someone who looks to watch something more lighthearted, I threw a couple of things in this list for you too. So, without further ado, here is a spoiler-free list of what to watch while stuck in quarantine. 

Movies image
Denise Jans

1. The Vampire Diaries

I have to start with this one because it stuck with me for many years and stages of my life. This show is like that friend who is always there for you and even though you do not talk all the time, you know they will always have your back. Yes, that is exactly how I feel about The Vampire Diaries. If you want to know that type of love, I would recommend watching this one. Then re-watching it. And then finally watching it one last time before you move on. There are eight seasons, so this one should take you a while if you are the type of person who ran out of things to do. 

2. The Originals

If you thought I was going to put the Vampire Diaries at number one without putting the Originals at number two, you are sadly mistaken. If you like The Vampire Diaries, you will love The Originals. It is the spin-off series of the original vampire family. It is very much worth the watch and I might just like this one better than The Vampire Diaries. Maybe it is their accents. 

3. Glee

Glee is perfect to watch if you want to watch something more lighthearted and can sing along to. This show will never get old and even though it has its sad moments, I always have a smile on my face when I am watching it. Glee is my happy show. It follows a group of teens through high school and beyond while they perform in a show choir and much more than that, but I promised no spoilers. Just know that I like even the later cast and for me, that does not always happen. So, this one is good.

4. The Society

This show is crazy. It is centered around a group of teenagers who get stuck in a parallel universe that looks just like their hometown, but they are the only ones there and stuck. It is very trippy and eye-opening. It quickly turns very dystopian which makes you think even closer about our society. No spoilers, as I said, but this show will blow your mind.

5. Elite

This Spanish murder mystery show is so beautifully written, you will never see every twist and turn coming. I love the acting and the writing produced so many amazing one-liners, I have begun to blurt them out when I am alone because they are as catchy as song lyrics. Do not worry, if you do not speak Spanish, there are subtitles. If you are looking for quality television, this is for you. 

6. La Casa de Papel

On Netflix as Money Heist, this Spanish drama will consume your life until and even after you finish it. The direct translation of the series title is House of Paper, but I think they decided to call it Money Heist because it is a very basic summary of this show. It starts with a group of criminals preparing to rob the Royal Mint of Spain also known in Spanish as the Fabrica Nacional de Moneda y Timbre. That is about as much as I can say without saying too much, but this show will show you how to successfully perform a heist, high-key break your heart, give you so much joy, and then repeat this cycle. I give this show a 100/10. 

7. The Circle

The Circle is kind of a reality show, game show, social media platform? It is a game where the most popular player wins and it is very, very, entertaining. So entertaining that I even watched the Brazilian version. Before this show, I never really ever watched any reality TV but after watching this, I know what all the hype is about. 10/10 recommend.

8. Marriage Story 

This Netflix original film hit very close to home for me and it now holds a special place in my heart. My parents separated at a very young age and although their story is only vaguely similar, I can completely see my parents in these characters. I think that is what is so good about this movie. It makes you reflect on your story, even if it is not completely the same. This movie will make you cry, even if you do not usually cry during movies. I think everyone should watch it. 

Well, I hope you have a brand-new Netflix to watch list now. I could fit at least twenty more things on this list but then we would have been here forever. So, for now, enjoy this list. Always remember, it is okay to take a break now and then even if you feel like you have a million things to do. You deserve to take a break now and then.

Chandler Long Day
Giphy

West Chester University '23 Psychology and Languages and Cultures Double Major Latina Writer from Philly Bookworm, Multimedia Artist, Theatre Enthusiast, Avid TV Show Binge Watcher
Contributor account.