Life > Experiences

Ways To Get Through February When The Winter Blues Are Getting To You

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at West Chester chapter.

For a lot of people, winter isn’t the best time of year. Temperatures are below 30 degrees, the sun sets before 5pm, all the trees are bare, and to put it bluntly, seasonal depression comes in full swing. Winter is broken up by Christmas in December, New Years in January, and a nice long break if you’re in college through both of those months. Even though it’s cold and sad outside you still have a couple things to look forward to, but in February everything comes to a screeching halt.

But let’s look at February as a pivotal part of winter. We’ve already gotten through more than half of the season and only have about a third to go. Even though 2024 is a leap year, February is still the shortest month of the year, bringing us that much closer to spring. Despite the positives that February offers, it can be hard to see the light at the end of a dreary month. Here is a list of things that will push you to cross February 29th into March.

If you’re one of those people that suffers from seasonal depression, February is a hard month. You feel tired, don’t want to leave the house, and take little interest in doing things. Most of the time this is from a lack of vitamin D due to the sun not being out. A quick fix to this problem is taking vitamin D daily. When taking the supplement daily the National Library of Medicine stated “Vitamin D3 significantly enhances a positive effect and there was some evidence of a reduction in negative effect” https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/9539254/. It’s a nice way of naturally getting some of that happy feeling while we wait for the sun to come back out.

Another way to fight off those winter blues is going for a walk. I know, I know, the last thing you want to do when it’s cold and cloudy is go outside to walk but it’s been proven that walking can lift your mood. Grab a friend, your pet, or just yourself on a walk to increase your heart rate and get your blood pumping. Especially if it’s a sunny day, your body will thank you for getting up and moving a bit. (Plus natural Vitamin D!)

Make sure to make time for yourself!! I feel like this one is underrated in today’s society. We’re so often pushed into the “Go, Go, Go,” mentality that we forget that it’s okay to make time for yourself. Take the day off of work or class (if possible) and have a day just for you. Go to your favorite cafe or restaurant to get a treat and then take the rest of the day to recharge your battery. Whether you need to go have some retail therapy, catch up with friends, or just spend the whole day in bed, take the day to honor what you need. You can’t pour from an empty cup!

This next one may not be your style depending on if you’re an introvert or extrovert, but go make plans with friends. Winter feels like a lonely time but that doesn’t mean you need to spend it alone. These are some of my Friends February to-dos: 

• Galentine’s day- A valentine’s celebration with you and the girls that makes everyone feel good.
  • A night out- Some people may not enjoy going out every weekend but once and a while it feels good to let loose!
  • Have dinner with your friends- A quick meet up to fill up on social time while also filling your stomach. Whether you want to stay in and make something or go out to eat, you get to choose!
  • Day trips- Grab your bestie and get in the car to go on a little day adventure. Whether it’s to the mall, or somewhere further it’s always good to see new scenery.

This last tip is what is really keeping me going right now and that’s having something to look forward to. I have a couple vision boards going and am in general trying to manifest and look forward to things in the near future. Some examples are outfits you want to wear, places you want to travel to, food you want to make, or even a new job or move. Hop on pinterest to make a board for your dream spring, or make a physical vision board by cutting up magazines. It helps having a goal to look forward to, to keep you pushing into the new season. Look up some prompts for vision boards if you need ideas or just put together some things that bring you joy.

We’re already almost half way through February and in no time we’ll be seeing bright colors blooming, hearing birds chirping, and feeling the sun on our skin. It’s important to keep taking care of yourself even if it feels hard to. It feels like a lonely time but remember you’re never alone in all of this. Recharge yourself when needed and remember, you got this!

Ava Protokowicz

West Chester '24

Hi! Im Ava and I'm a Public Health major with a Contemplative studies minor. I'm originally from Wilmington Delaware and when I'm not busy with school I love a good book, to be by the ocean, write, and do yoga. I also enjoy anything iced coffee related and you will often find me out on a hot girl walk.