Style > Fashion

The Power of Pinterest: How to Find Your Style

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at West Chester chapter.

Not everyone knows their style

This past semester, I was surprised to hear my best friend (and roommate) struggling with her wardrobe. She wanted to get pieces that spoke to a cohesive vision of herself as an 18-year-old. She wanted to find her style so I asked her a few questions: Did she look up to her older sisters when she was younger? Did she have any childhood celebrity obsessions? Did she ever watch a movie solely for the clothes? She said, no.

I didn’t understand that not all people were as vicarious (and obsessive) as I was as a kid. My current style comes from not being able to wear the outfits of my babysitter, my favorite actresses, and the cool upperclassmen I saw when I was still learning what a period was. 

When my process for finding my style didn’t work for my best friend, we came up with a new plan. The plan was to find inspiration from Pinterest. 

What is Pinterest?

Pinterest is an image sharing site that allows users to create boards, which are collections of their favorite photos. I’ve used Pinterest for a range of needs from what prom dress I wanted to what furniture I want in my future NYC apartment. 

The key to building a vision is thinking back on what you have loved since your childhood. What colors were you attracted to? What show could you never stop watching? What songs did you listen to in your mom’s minivan? When we go back to our truest selves, it becomes easier to understand who we are and how to physically represent that with our clothes. 

How to get started

Use these following boards from Her Campus West Chester’s Pinterest account to get you started on your style journey. Each board takes on a different life; a different dream. 

Indie Grunge

For the girls wanting to feel like the girlfriend of a rockstar in 2009, here’s the style for you. A future of leather jackets, smudged eyeliner, and half smoked cigarettes awaits you. 

Girl Next Door

She is the girl that everyone wants to be near. She is the love interest in every coming of age movie, but she doesn’t know it. She would never be caught in anything other than worn in Chucks and an oversized zip up sweatshirt. If you adopt this style, it’s only a matter of time before you get caught up in a RomCom type love triangle. 

Sunny 70s

There is not a single pair of skinny jeans in this girl’s closet. Space is only reserved for wide leg pants and off-white baseball tees. There is no breeze that can disrupt the feathered hairstyle she formed from overnight rollers. 

Off-Duty Model

Models are often glammed to the max and when they aren’t working they are looking for the same thing as you are: effortless beauty. Here’s how to not over-complicate your outfits but still look put together. 

Femme Fatale

Maneater. Manipulator. Mastermind. She has everyone wrapped around her oxblood manicured finger. She would never be caught dead without stilettos and a heavy fur coat even when planning a murder. 

Regency Core

Hyperfixation on corsets? Can’t stop watching Pride and Prejudice? I promise this style will let you believe you really are a character in Bridgerton.

Happy pinning from Her Campus West Chester!

Ellie Perrin

West Chester '26

Ellie is a sophomore Media and Culture major with minors in Journalism and French at West Chester University of Pennsylvania. She is the Vice President and Co-Senior Editor of WCU's HC Chapter. She is constantly scribbling in her "idea" journal her unique observations of the world and her role in it. With interests ranging from reading Fitzgerald to Vogue or from watching Shameless to Trisha Paytas Tiktoks, Ellie's writing comes from a holistic perspective. She is excited to use her world view for her writing and add to her portfolio.