Say More Review: Poets Take on Podcasts

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at West Chester chapter.

Right around the time of the pandemic and mandated social distancing, the world of podcasts exploded.With so much extra time, the masses consumed media like there was no tomorrow because quite frankly there were no plans for tomorrow. I found myself not wanting to listen to my own thoughts anymore and I decided to take a look at my podcast options as well. I discovered that one of my favorite authors Olivia Gatwood had created a podcast with Melissa-Lozada Oliva called Say More, that not too many people know about. Part of what appealed to me was the fact that creative individuals were speaking their minds, and they were not influencers on Instagram.

The two internationally renowned writers, poets, and performers are great friends with similar interests. The podcast they created is easy to listen to, conversational, and feels like you are chatting with friends. The concept of their podcast is to talk to one another about different topics, from plants to ghosts, to birth control, and share their opinions. They interview each other, occasionally having guests, and when they want someone to elaborate they simply state, “Say More.” They both claim to have a lot of questions about things that don’t matter.

https://www.instagram.com/saymoresaymorepodcast/?hl=en

New episodes of this podcast come out every Wednesday but they are not the most consistent, true creatives never are and start with a catchy tune that speaks to the environment listening to this podcast creates: “we didn’t do any research, we are tragic …” Listen for yourself. There are currently 73 episodes, and I am currently making my way through episode 48. I highly recommend this podcast to anyone who enjoys spending time with the girls, because that is exactly what listening to this podcast feels like.

Julia Harpel

West Chester '23

Julia Harpel is a senior editor and student at West Chester University. She is working towards her BSED English Writings Track with a Creative Writing Minor. She hopes to one day earn a Master's Degree. Julia is a mental health advocate, environmentalist, and feminist. When she is not at school, at work, writing, or reading, she loves to spend time with friends, go on adventures such as kayaking, and listen to country music.