Health Vagina Sex Periods Std Feminism
Health Vagina Sex Periods Std Feminism
Molly Longest / Her Campus
Wellness > Mental Health

PMDD: A Tragically Misunderstood Disorder

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at West Chester chapter.

When experiencing PMS, most women have cramps, mood swings, headaches, bloating, the list goes on. But some women, in addition to common PMS symptoms, will suffer from panic attacks, depression spells, feelings of hopelessness, severe pain from cramping and headaches, even suicidal ideation during the two weeks leading to their period. This severe type of PMS is called Premenstrual Dysphoric Disorder, or PMDD.

There are over 3 million cases of PMDD in the US each year. Women who suffer from this hormonal disorder find themselves debilitated by not only the agonizing pain but by the maladaptive storm of mood swings as well. These mood shifts, while they only last a couple of weeks each month, cause a lifetime’s worth of damage. These symptoms can cause damage to one’s career, relationships, friendships, and self-esteem.

girl sleeping in black and white
Kinga Cichewicz

The most unsettling piece of this, however, is that there is an abundance of people who suffer from this disorder and don’t even know it. The problem lies in the consistent invalidation and societal misrepresentation of menstrual-related issues. This invalidation exists everywhere- it’s joked about in pop culture, it’s hidden in the hushed way we’re supposed to talk about it in school, it’s the unfair accusation that’s thrown at us for being angry, it’s even in the diagnosis from doctors who will call it PMS. In fact, PMDD is so misunderstood that it is most commonly misdiagnosed as bipolar disorder.

When it comes to how you’re “supposed to feel” when facing PMS, there is no standard. How much pain is too much pain? How angry am I allowed to feel before it becomes concerning? When do mood swings become diagnosable depression? Unfortunately, these are crucial things girls are never taught in school. And because of this disconnect between women and their bodies, this disheartening disorder will continue to go unnoticed.

girl power 1
Kristen Bryant / Her Campus

Thankfully though, if you suffer from or think you may suffer from PMDD, there is hope. Not only are there plenty of treatment options, such as birth control pills, SSRI’s (Selective Serotonin Reuptake Inhibitor), and therapy options, but awareness for this disorder is being spread too. Planned Parenthood provides information on its website and offers services to help treat it. There are also a number of online communities and forums of women sharing their experiences and learning from one another. Even though PMDD can be confusing and painful on many levels, do not let it control your life, and most importantly, never let anyone tell you it isn’t real.

Juliana Elg

West Chester '21

Hi, I'm Juliana Elg! I'm a junior Psychology student with a minor in Global Studies and I'm passionate about writing, telling stories, and helping others. When I'm not studying you can find me going on nature walks and painting.
Contributor account.