sagar patil 8UcNYpynFLU unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
sagar patil 8UcNYpynFLU unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp
Life > Experiences

An Open Letter to My Best Friend

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at West Chester chapter.

To my best friend,

I think you were placed in my life for a reason. I sometimes find myself wondering what I did to deserve you but also question how lucky I got to have a friend like you. I am beyond grateful for all of the adventures we have gone on, all of the memories that we have made, and all of the inside jokes that have accumulated over the years. From the second we met in sixth grade; I knew this was a relationship that was going to last forever.

Our sleepless sleepovers, endless laughing, and midnight feast cooking are only a few of my favorite moments I will forever be able to cherish with you. No time spent with you is ever wasteful, it’s something I always look forward to. It doesn’t even matter if the two of us hanging out together includes chilling on the couch and watching our favorite cartoons.

Everyone deserves to have at least one friend that they can rely on and trust them with anything and everything, and for me, you’re that person. I feel the most comfortable opening up to you with whatever is on my mind or what is bothering me because I know there will be no judgment. You’re my safe haven and you always will be. Don’t forget, it’s a two-way street. Although you are always here for me, please remember that I am also always here for you when you need someone. It doesn’t even matter what time of the day you need someone; I will always be available with my undivided attention.

Without you, I honestly have no idea where I would be in life. You have taught me to believe in myself and to chase my dreams if I didn’t have the encouragement that you’ve given me, I wouldn’t be doing what I’m doing. The amount of motivation and reassurance that I’ve been supplied with by you has forced me to go after opportunities that I would usually be scared to do. I’ve broken out of my quiet, shy shell. I’ve become a person that I’m happy with, never did I ever think I would be able to say that. You have helped shape who I am, and you continue to do so – you will forever hold a special place in my heart.

I know this is going to be extremely cliché, but I know we’re practically sisters. We have the same interests, the same hobbies, the same sense of humor, the same favorite foods, and the same lacking amount of enthusiasm when it comes to hiking (ha-ha). Everything just feels right with you. Life feels complete whenever you’re around and I couldn’t be anymore thankful.

We’ve gone from seeing each other every day for hours on end and slowly began to see each other less and less as time went on, but don’t be fooled, we are closer than ever. We have had a long-distance type of friendship for the past four years, with me being in college and you working at home, it gets tough not seeing you as much as I used to. Never have we ever let this ruin us. The distance did quite the opposite actually – it brought us even closer to each other. When I get the chance to come home, without hesitation we immediately make plans to see each other which makes me happier than you would probably imagine.

Thank you for always being there for me and having a shoulder for me to cry on when I need it. Thank you for living life to the fullest with me, I wouldn’t want to do it with anyone else. Our friendship has been full of laughter, smiles, and adventure so far, I am fully ready to see what it holds for us in the future. Here’s to ten years of being friends and to the infinite amount of years to come. I love you to the moon and back.

Love,

Your partner in crime

Photo Credit: Cover, 1, 2

Hi, I'm Marly! I am a senior at West Chester University, majoring in English (Writings Track) with a concentration in Digital Writing and Rhetoric. In my free time I love to practice self care, which includes: listening to my favorite music, cooking/baking, journaling, and (of course!) obsessing over my dogs.