This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at West Chester chapter.

As college students and simply just living human beings, we go through a lot of stress, worry, anxiety, and pain. It is natural and common, but we have the power to change the way we react and view certain situations and problems. We often experience external situations out of our control that hit us right in the heart with an arrow. Other times, we can get caught up in our head and spiral from there. But we have control, and we can do this. There are simply so many small micro habits to practice that will aid us in our journey through anxiety. I am so excited to share my favorite podcast with you: The Mel Robbins Podcast. 

A few weeks ago I discovered a podcast while I was battling through my anxiety. I was feeling so down and worried, thought after thought that kept pestering my mind. I was unable to think rationally or positively, which often happens to us when we get into anxious modes. I put my airpods in, laid down on my bed, and listened to The Mel Robbins Podcast. I was shocked with how much lighter I felt while listening to her podcast. Mel Robbins is a God. No seriously, she is amazing. Her podcasts are real, raw, and motivational. Mel is an author, podcast host, and motivational speaker. She speaks on a number of topics, one of them including mental health; She shares amazing stories, tips and tricks, research, and just incredible energy you can feel through her voice. I love how Mel really connects to her listeners and brings a feeling of comfort. I feel that she is talking directly to me, and I promise you will feel that way as well. I literally think “Wow, she just really gets me”, whenever I listen to her. 

I am so pleased to say that I’ve had a number of takeaways from The Mel Robbins Podcast that really help me. One of my favorite episodes is “6 Magic Words That Stop Anxiety & Overwhelm”. Mel is incredible with her tips on battling anxiety. Her 6 magic words are “what if it all works out?” She practices this when she feels her anxiety creeping up. It can stop the spiral before it happens. Since it is a question, we are able to actually sit and think on it. But really, whatever you are battling through or worrying about, ask yourself the question “what if it all works out?” It sounds simple but it is absolutely effective. Anxiety can feel impossible to fix but it is not about fixing, it’s about changing our mindset to battle against it. I am no psychologist, but I find that challenging my anxiety can interrupt the spiral.

Mel draws from her own experiences, spiritual practices, research, and other motivational speakers/doctors. She includes all of these in my favorite episode. Mel shared something from a Buddhist practice that really spoke to me: when a misfortune happens, whether it is a negative event or circumstance, two arrows are fired. The first arrow you don’t have much control over. It is the misfortune or painful event that hits you in the heart. The second arrow you fire back at yourself when you react in a way where it creates more anxiety and overwhelm. That second arrow, you have control over. We have the ability to stop all of the pointless hurt we cause ourselves. 

I know sometimes podcasts can be difficult to tune into, especially when you’re not doing anything. I like to listen to Mel while I drive, do laundry, walk to class, and when I spend time walking/running outside. I believe Mel Robbins is such an inspiring person and her podcasts have become a positive part of my daily life. I guarantee you will be able to listen to Mel and find comfort, motivation, hope, encouragement, positivity, and most importantly realizing that you are not alone. Remember: “What if it all works out?” 

Links to Mel’s podcast on Spotify & Apple Music

http://spotify.link/U91ntjdbQDb

podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast/the-mel-robbins-podcast/id1646101002

Jessica Creamer

West Chester '26

Second year West Chester student majoring in Secondary Education & English!