This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at West Chester chapter.

I have gotten the keratin treatment done at a salon for several summers, and I have always been obsessed with the results. My hair is a lot of breakage from years of bleaching and applying heat almost daily. Repairing breakage is one reason why I love the keratin treatment. Another reason is it completely removes frizz (even in humidity) and tames my crazy curls. I would recommend this treatment to anyone struggling with damaged or frizzy hair; the only problem is the cost. When getting the treatment done at a salon, it can usually cost around $300 plus tip and the expensive shampoo and conditioner you need to keep the keratin treatment as long as you can. 

Photo by Joanna Nix on Unsplash

With salons slowly opening and everyone is making appointments for trims and root touchups, I decided to give the keratin treatment a try. I purchased the kit from Amazon for $43; the kit is called Moroccan Keratin. It comes with a small bottle of shampoo and conditioner, a deep cleanser, and the keratin treatment itself. The company advertises itself as the “most Effective Brazilian Keratin Hair Treatment.” The majority of reviews are very positive and state the product completely changed their hair; I’d have to agree.

Process

Let’s talk about the process. First, you have to wash your hair with the deep cleanser pre-wash; you do this to strip out all the oils and products from your hair. I washed it three times, and when I took it out of the towel, it was a giant knot. After I brushed out my matted mess, I moved onto step two. I applied the instant damage repair hair straightening product. I sectioned my hair into small sections and made sure that each piece was very generously coated. Once I had a hefty amount applied to step three, blow-drying, this took a good deal of time. 

Photo by cottonbro from Pexels
You have to section your hair off again into small pieces and dry your hair as straight as possible (tip: have your windows opened or be in a well-circulated room and wear a mask. The fumes from the product can be potent. They made my throat burn and my mom’s eyes water. I also suggest you follow this for step four too). Once your hair is completely dry, move onto the fourth step, straightening, set your hair straightener to 400+°. Section off your hair into small pieces and go over each piece about seven times or until smoke stops coming off your hair. By the time you’re done straightening, your hair should be pin-straight and maybe have a slightly stiff texture. You cannot wash your hair from 1-3 days after the process to ensure maximum results; you cannot put your hair up or dent it in any way, I would also suggest going over your hair with a straightener a few times while the product is sinking into your hair. After 1-3 days, you wash your hair with the special shampoo and conditioner provided to you, and you’ll be amazed with the results. 

My results

Photo by Autri Taheri on Unsplash
I used the Keratin treatment about two months ago, and I am obsessed with the outcome; my hair dries with a nice wave, and I haven’t dealt with any frizz. I especially love the product because I can give my hair a break from all the heat I apply. My hair feels healthier than ever, and I think my hair looks as good as if I got it done in a salon. I would usually pay my hairdresser $360 for the same results. The only downside of this product is the amount of time this process takes, as well as the fumes coming off your hair isn’t great for your respiratory system, but for over $300 less than I’d usually pay, I’ll take the cons. For my shampoo and conditioner, I do not use the ones provided for me, mainly because the bottles were small, and I ran out. I purchased a set that I used for a past keratin treatment. The Lasio Keratin-Infused Hypersilk Replenishing Shampoo and Conditioner the set is $57.I know it is a bit pricy, but the shampoo and conditioner will preserve the treatment in your hair longer than regular shampoo and conditioner. I think anyone who tries the treatment will not be disappointed and may make it an annual thing, as I do. 

Jacqueline is a senior at West Chester University, located in West Chester, Pennsylvania. She is working towards her Bachelor of Arts degree in Media Culture studies, with a Strategic Communication Concentration. Jacqueline is also working towards her minor in creative writing. In her future, Jacqueline hopes to write a book and find a career where she can pursue her passion for writing and creativity.
Contributor account.