It’s Not Crazy To Be Holiday-Ready On November 1st

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at West Chester chapter.

The morning after Halloween, I ripped down every decoration in our dorm while blasting All I Want for Christmas is You by Mariah Carey, and I declared that it was finally my favorite time of year. There are a lot of people who would call me crazy for that, but I am fully unapologetic. Getting yourself excited about something, anything, is so critical during this strenuous time of year. The end of the semester brings finals and a huge amount of stress for most students. Find something to look forward to, whether that’s a holiday that you celebrate, an event you have planned, or even just being able to see your family again during winter break, and never apologize for how excited you are! If you’re like me, and you’re really looking to get festive in order to get through this last month and a half, look no further. Here are some ideas for how to get festive early this holiday season:

1. Stream Elf!

See a screening of Elf in your local movie theater. Elf is celebrating its 20th anniversary by coming back to theaters starting November 7th. It will be out for the rest of the season! Elf is one of my all-time favorite Christmas movies and is the perfect way to get in the spirit. If you can’t make it to the theater, you could have a dorm movie night with your besties, complete with the Pillsbury easy-bake Elf cookies! 

1. Gear up!

Head to Five Below to stock up on affordable holiday gear. My friends and I are obsessed with the trendy $10 PJ sets at Five Below. I also bought a tinsel garland, decorative tree, and gingerbread man pillow and my friends got matching elf slippers! If you want to decorate your dorm room or get dressed up and cozy this season, Five Below is probably the easiest way to do it. 

1. Throw a festive event!

Organize a Secret Santa or Friendsgiving with your friends. Even though the end of the semester and the winter holidays may seem ages away, you can raise morale and get everyone hyped up for the season by making your plans now. I also think there’s something to be said about hosting a Friendsgiving, even though a lot of people want to skip Thanksgiving entirely. Many people mistake me for the type to skip Thanksgiving because of how much I love the holidays in December, but I love Thanksgiving! It’s the perfect precursor to all the festivities to come at the very end of the year. 

1. Savor the seasonal flavors!

Try local holiday-themed treats. For WCU students, I have to recommend the seasonal specials at Dia Doce. I recently visited and tried an iced toasted butter pecan latte. It was so delicious! Head to any of your favorite local spots and check their menu for something wintery or festive. It will put you right in the holiday spirit or give you a small burst of motivation to get your stuff done. I know how hard it is to be productive when you can see the finish line of the semester, but sometimes a sweet treat does wonders. 

I’m wishing everyone a happy and healthy end of the year! It can be difficult, but try to spread a little cheer wherever you can. That is truly what will make you the happiest in turn. Stay close to your friends and loved ones this season and make sure to take time away from your studying to have a little fun!

Maddy Kern

West Chester '27

Hi! I'm Maddy and I'm an English major at West Chester University. I'm interested in lifestyle and wellness as well as pop culture. I love writing, animals (my favorite is a sloth), and going to the beach. My favorite thing to do is snuggle up with a cup of coffee and a good book!