The Lalapink Beauty Products
The Lalapink Beauty Products
Her Campus Media
Style > Beauty

I Tried The Ordinary Skincare Line So You Don’t Have To and I Was Pleasantly Surprised

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at West Chester chapter.

My journey to clear skin has been nothing but rocky. I’ve been struggling with hormonal acne since the age of ten and I’ve tried everything you could think of. Any drugstore acne cleanser you could name, I’ve tried it. I’ve even gone to a dermatologist for professional help, and while they did prescribe me some medication and topical treatments, I wasn’t seeing any real results or progress. Plus, those topical creams were so expensive. My pockets were sobbing.

After eleven years of struggling to find a regimen/skincare routine that worked for me, I stumbled upon what is now my holy-grail skincare line: The Ordinary. This line of skincare is a sub-brand of Deciem, which was founded in 2013 in Toronto. Brandon Truaxe, the late founder of this monumental brand, dubbed his company as “The Abnormal Beauty Company” and Deciem is exactly that. Their skincare products have become widely popular due to how affordable and effective these products are. Specifically, their sub-brand The Ordinary has become a tried-and-true for so many people, including me.

Celina Timmerman-Fun Poloroids
Celina Timmerman / Her Campus

If you ask any of my friends, they will tell you that my skin is 10x better than it was just six months ago and it’s all because of these products. My acne scars have lightened, I rarely have major breakouts anymore, and my skin is extremely smooth. Here are a few of my staples that I have come to adore and think everyone should incorporate into their skincare routine.

1. Glycolic Acid 7% Toning Solution  – $8.70

This solution is perfect for toning and exfoliating your skin to make it look

brighter and feel smoother! I like to go in with the toning solution right after cleansing my face to remove any impurities from my skin and even out the texture. Apply a small amount on a cotton round and then apply it to your skin before going in with any serums. This is best if used during the nighttime, but if you choose to incorporate it into your morning routine, make sure you use SPF!

2. Lactic Acid 10% + HA 2%  – $6.80

Also pictured above. This peeling solution helps to lighten dark spots, prevent fine lines and wrinkles, and exfoliate your skin, leaving it super soft and radiant. The consistency of this serum is watery and light, so err on the side of caution when applying. Massage onto your skin once per day during your nighttime skincare routine for the best results.

3. Niacinamide 10% + Zinc 1% – $5.90

Niacinamide 10% + Zinc 1% has become one of The Ordinary’s most popular products. This serum is perfect for reducing the appearance of blemishes and large pores. Additionally, if you struggle with oily skin, this would be great for you because it helps balance the skin’s oil production.

My skin is a literal grease bomb all the time, but ever since I’ve incorporated this into my routine, my skin has been less oily throughout the day. I like to use this serum after toning my face and before any creams. Apply this serum morning and night!

4. 100% Organic Cold-Pressed Rose Hip Seed Oil  – $9.80

When I was doing my own research about which products from The Ordinary that would work best for my acne scarring, I didn’t expect so many people to recommend a facial oil. Rosehip seed oil is jam-packed with vitamins and antioxidants and it works wonders for dark spots, hyperpigmentation, and fine lines. Apply this after any water-based serums at the end of your skincare routine.

5. AHA 30% + BHA 2% Peeling Solution  – $7.20

Out of all of the products I wanted to try from The Ordinary, I was most excited about this gem. Before knowing about this brand, I was considering buying the Drunk Elephant T.L.C. Sukari Baby Facial, but then I heard about this peeling solution from The Ordinary and how cheap it was in comparison. The baby facial from Drunk Elephant is a whopping $80.00; the peeling solution from The Ordinary is $7.20. The price difference alone sold me. It’s essentially the same peeling solution just with a different consistency and price point.

I started using this once a week, typically on Sunday’s since I wasn’t familiar with chemical peels. On Deciem’s website, they disclosed that this peeling solution is very strong, so it should only be used once or twice a week. After a while, I started using this product twice a week and it has really lightened my scars and made my skin extremely soft. If you’re going to incorporate this chemical peel into your routine, use at night to help even texture, exfoliate, and brighten your skin.

Disclaimer: If you have sensitive skin, this product might not be for you because of the high concentration of free acids.

I understand that most of the products I have listed are geared more towards acne scarring and oily skin, so here is a list of other products that you might like:

Dry Skin

Blemishes

The Ordinary skincare will not disappoint you. They’re such great products that won’t drain your bank account. I know the names of the products are intimidating and confusing, so definitely conduct your own research at the company website and watch your best skin come to life right before your eyes!

Krystal Draidfort

West Chester '20

Krystal is a senior at West Chester University majoring in Communications Studies and minoring in Nutrition and Dietetics. If you can't find her at the gym or hanging with friends, you can find her listening to her favorite podcasts or binge-watching her favorite lifestyle Youtuber's. Post-grad, her goal for the future is to obtain a job in digital marketing or public relations.
Katie Shannon

West Chester '21

Katie Shannon is the previous founder and president of Her Campus at West Chester chapter and a proud alumnus of West Chester University (May 2021). She is a marketing, communications, and public relations professional, now located in New York City, with 2+ years of experience at award-winning companies and businesses. This includes working with clientele such as Essence, Pixar, E*Trade, Morgan Stanley, Primark, Google, YouTube, Apple, Microsoft, MaryKay, Extra, Emergen-c, Maybelline, Garnier, Her Campus HQ, and more. As well, she has shared her time at different invite-only networking events at organizations such as National Geographic, Paka, iHeartMedia, Wunderkind, and more. Located in New York City, Katie has contributed her efforts working with Essence's Planet Team organization which primarily centers its efforts on "championing Essence's sustainability targets and delivering inspirational and practical content around the environmental issues we face today and the steps we can take to address them, at home, at work, and in our communities." Her different opportunities have provided a wide range of experience in editorial, management, analytical skillset, comfort with making data-driven decisions, developing and nurturing relationships with existing clients and agencies to generate renewal business, sales & marketing, events/event-planning, community, design, writing, attention to detail, organizational skills, managerial skills, project management skills, social media analytics, SEO, multi-tasking, written and verbal communication skills.