Hustle Culture: Why It Should Be Canceled, and Ways We Can Avoid It

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at West Chester chapter.

Three espresso coffees deep and you’re buried in your studies. You went to class this morning, then headed straight to work, and later ended up at the library to dive right back into your homework that is due next week. You already finished the tasks that are due, but you have to keep busy to stay ahead of your assignments. 

As college students, we are too familiar with the feeling of always having to be working. Whether we’re stuck in the library in between classes or pulling all-nighters, we are constantly studying or keeping busy.  This obsession is otherwise known as hustle culture. 

Hustle culture is the desire to always be productive.  Not only do we feel the need to check off each task on our long, to-do lists, we also feel the need to brag about it to our peers. How many times have you listened to one of your friends boast about how many hours they were at the library and how late they had stayed up studying for their exam last night? Or, how about that time you overheard a classmate rambling on and on about the amazing internship they just landed. When you are constantly hearing about your peers being successful or doing the next big thing, it instills this desire to “hustle” and do the same. 

This creates an endless cycle of overworking yourself and experiencing burnout as a result. Don’t get me wrong. Working hard, being productive, and setting yourself up for success are all excellent things, but when you run yourself to the ground and inherit unhealthy work-styles, you also run the chance of harming your mental health. Stress and anxiety are arguably the two largest mental health issues among us Gen Z’ers, and hustle culture simply perpetuates them. However, there are ways we can throw out or “cancel” this unhealthy take on the “rise and grind” mindset while still being productive and getting things done.

1. Take Each Task One at a Time and Pace Yourself. 

As young adults, we take pride in the fact that we can multitask. We can be doing five things at once and while we might be able to finish them all, we probably won’t do it to the best of our ability. It’s so easy to get things jumbled in our heads and become overwhelmed. Therefore, it’s important to take things little by little and pace yourself so that you can have a clear mind and get things done efficiently.

2. Have Some Well-Deserved ‘Me’ Time.

I’m sure you’ve skipped class once or twice to prepare or study for a different class and I’m sure you probably had a guilty conscience about it. Or, maybe you had some free time on your hands and you were trying to decide whether you should hit the books and get down to business or climb in bed and binge-watch the new season of Thirteen Reasons Why (which I regret to inform you, I still have yet to start). Many of my friends and classmates have revealed they sometimes feel guilty when they have free time. I’ll be the first to admit that I’ve fallen victim to this, but I’m here to tell you that taking a break is okay. 

Believe it or not, spending some time to rest and recoup is vital for your success, and more importantly, your well-being. Self-care is so important and can be a fun way to spend some time with yourself. Put on that face mask, drink some hot tea, and zen out, sister. Maybe read one of your favorite self-help books or stream all of your favorite throwback TV shows and movies on Disney+ (aka the greatest creation known to man). These are all perfect ways to recharge your mind and body for a brand-new day ahead.

Lastly, 

3. Remember That You are Human and You are Unique.

Rome wasn’t built in a day.  You don’t have to finish all of your tasks immediately. Delegate which ones are most important and tackle those first. Once you’ve finished those, you can move onto the other responsibilities you have. And most importantly, don’t compare yourself to others. Avoid measuring your success by whether or not you’re as busy as your friends. Everyone has their own way of doing things and the methods you use to be productive can be just as effective. 

So, let’s cancel hustle culture for it’s demanding pressures and let’s get back into our own groove again. 

Credit: Cover, 1, 2

Krystal Draidfort

West Chester '20

Krystal is a senior at West Chester University majoring in Communications Studies and minoring in Nutrition and Dietetics. If you can't find her at the gym or hanging with friends, you can find her listening to her favorite podcasts or binge-watching her favorite lifestyle Youtuber's. Post-grad, her goal for the future is to obtain a job in digital marketing or public relations.
Katie Shannon

West Chester '21

Katie Shannon is the previous founder and president of Her Campus at West Chester chapter and a proud alumnus of West Chester University (May 2021). She is a marketing, communications, and public relations professional, now located in New York City, with 2+ years of experience at award-winning companies and businesses. This includes working with clientele such as Essence, Pixar, E*Trade, Morgan Stanley, Primark, Google, YouTube, Apple, Microsoft, MaryKay, Extra, Emergen-c, Maybelline, Garnier, Her Campus HQ, and more. As well, she has shared her time at different invite-only networking events at organizations such as National Geographic, Paka, iHeartMedia, Wunderkind, and more. Located in New York City, Katie has contributed her efforts working with Essence's Planet Team organization which primarily centers its efforts on "championing Essence's sustainability targets and delivering inspirational and practical content around the environmental issues we face today and the steps we can take to address them, at home, at work, and in our communities." Her different opportunities have provided a wide range of experience in editorial, management, analytical skillset, comfort with making data-driven decisions, developing and nurturing relationships with existing clients and agencies to generate renewal business, sales & marketing, events/event-planning, community, design, writing, attention to detail, organizational skills, managerial skills, project management skills, social media analytics, SEO, multi-tasking, written and verbal communication skills.