This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at West Chester chapter.

Let me set the stage for you, it’s any day between 23rd and 26th in November, sans the 24th because that’s Thanksgiving. You must go out of your way to plan the perfect fall, feast-centric get together with your bestest friends. Now, I know, “Why I do I always have to be the one to instigate things? How come my friends never do? Do my friends even like me? Does anyone even like me?” train of thought is on the cusp of becoming your latest 2 a.m. fixation, but let’s neglect those questions. Into the closet they go! Instead, think of all the amazing compliments you’ll receive for putting together such a magnificent event. The validation will surely provide you enough serotonin for until school is back in session and you’re in desperate need of one of your professors to describe your comment as “insightful.”

Since I’ve now thoroughly convinced you of the necessity of hosting a perfect, and ultimately micromanaged, Friendsgiving, you may have stirred yourself into a panic about what to do. You’ve never hosted a get together of such magnitude! Dear reader, do not worry, for I am here to provide you with key tips regarding throwing a perfect party. 

Theme

The best parties have an established theme. It can direct your friends on how to dress and give you ideas on how to decorate. What we’re trying to do is limit choice. It’s overwhelming! Ideally, there should be one option you feel comfortable putting all your marbles behind. So I’ve provided you with what is, objectively speaking, the best theme idea.

1. Fantastic Mr. Fox – Now, I’m specifically citing Wes Anderson’s stop motion animated film, and if you’ve never seen it? Get better taste, I guess? This movie establishes an incredibly cohesive dress code for you and your friends, as all of the characters are wearing almost offensively twee outfits. Surely if you and your friend group can successfully commit to the look, the sheer magnitude of the twee will have Zooey Deschanel weeping with the defeat in the distance. Even more useful though, there is a scene depicting a grand feast, so feel free to get your tablecloth, drinkware, and garland inspiration from quite possibly the most picturesque fall dinner put to screen. Also, if the title didn’t give it away, Fantastic Mr. Fox follows Mr. Fox and his crew, committing robberies and heists, meaning that they wear adorable fox-head-shaped balaclavas. Think of how cute that would be, all you and your closest friends sitting around the table wearing fox-esque balaclavas (thinks of the ears!). You could even make them at the Friendsgiving dinner, a cute pre-dinner crafting event. It could give “cult” vibes or adorable 5th grade play about the importance of working together. The vibes are in your hands.

Entertainment

Besides the amazing arts and craft activity I mentioned above, we’re going to need something to watch. It’s how y’all will wind down after dinner and possibly enjoy some cider and pie. But what will you watch? There are so many movies to choose from. Should it be a Thanksgiving movie? Are there even Thanksgiving movies? No, not really. And if there were it would be too on the nose. We’re going for the essence of Thanksgiving, not stamping the word “Thanksgiving” on every attendee’s skull. So we’re looking for something that provides the essence of fall and coziness (because you will be lighting a pumpkin or apple scented candle once it gets dark). Don’t worry though, as a film buff, meaning I’ve seen movies before, I have the perfect recommendation. And what better movie than When Harry Met Sally. It’s perfect! You can admire New York in all its Fall glory, and there’s no feeling more cozy than watching a love story blossom between two slightly aggravating individuals. It’s realism in cinema! People in the real world are annoying! Even if romance is not your thing, everyone can find entertainment in longingly admiring Meg Ryan’s sweater collection.

Food

Undoubtedly, food is the most enjoyable part of any Thanksgiving meal. However, you, as a mere college student, may feel nervous on embarking on such a large task by your lonesome. Here’s how you remedy it: make your Friendsgiving meal a charcuterie board party. By doing so, you equally distribute the food preparation amongst the guests. If you are unfamiliar with charcuterie board parties, you obviously don’t spend a majority of your free time on TikTok, and for that I greatly envy you. Essentially, each guest brings a charcuterie board, but it’s not the traditional cheese, fruit, and crackers ensemble. Instead, people make boards of their favorite foods. They stick to a particular food and display different varieties or they showcase a specific restaurant they like and arrange the food pleasingly on the board. However, you need to make sure at least some of your guests are bringing boards with actual food on them, not just snacks. 

If you have an unbridled hatred for wooden boards, an alternative would be everyone brings one dish and said dishes are coordinated in advance so there are no repeats.

Alexis Stakem

West Chester '26

An obsession with polar bears, movies, and reading made into a person.