Desk setup?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
Desk setup?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp
Unsplash
Career

Home is the New Office: How to Work Effectively While Stuck Inside

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at West Chester chapter.

The WFH (Work From Home) life can be intimidating. Making the transition from your normal routine to working from home can be difficult. We are used to having structured days mapped out on our calendar, so when we have to switch modes and set a new pace we kind of go crazy. Adapting to this new way of life is crucial. We have to try to figure out what works best for us so that we can work effectively while we’re stuck inside. So, make some of these small tweaks to your daily life and see how much better your days turn out.

Keep a Routine

By revamping your old routine to fit your new workspace, you’ll feel a bit more normal. Wake up early in the morning as you would if you were going to class or to work. Make your breakfast and do all of the normal things you would’ve as if it was a normal day. With all of this added time, it’s easy to go stir-crazy. By keeping a routine, it’ll keep you busy and won’t leave any room for procrastination. You could easily sleep in until 11 a.m., watch Netflix for a few hours and still have enough time in the day to get all of your tasks done. However, getting all of your work done early in the day is gratifying.

Get Somewhat Dressed for the Day

Sure, you could lay in your pajamas all day and get your work done. I’m game for being comfy and cozy all day. However, we’ve all heard the age-old lecture that says something along the lines of dressing for success makes you successful. There are plenty of studies that reveal what you wear affects how you perform academically and on the job. You don’t have to go full-blown prom ready just to sit at your dining room table and do some computer work. Simply putting on an outfit that’s somewhat put together, even if it’s just a nice pair of joggers and a sweater, will help you feel ready to take on the day. Plus, you’ll be dressed for all of your Zoom classes and meetings for work!

Carve Out Time for Your Tasks

Having a planner and scheduling your day can help immensely when you’re working from home. Go through your tasks, sift through your updated syllabi, think of what chores you need to get done and organize your day from start to finish. Schedule in your lunch break too so that you have some space in your schedule for some downtime in between everything you’re accomplishing. But don’t forget to have some “me time.” It doesn’t have to be all work and no play. Take some time to read a book or go for a walk and soak up some Vitamin D.

Set Up an Office Space

Spaces affect your mentality. Avoid laying in bed and tackling your to-do list because you’ll be more likely to get too comfortable or distracted. Your bedroom should remain as your sanctuary where you can unwind and relax. Instead, create a workspace in another part of your home that’s separate from your bedroom to help you stay productive. And, keep this workspace neat and clean. Cluttered and unorganized areas will make you and your brain feel scattered. Keeping your space minimal keeps your mind on track throughout the day. Once you’re done with your work-day, you can move on to doing other activities or hobbies.

Readjusting to this new normalcy isn’t easy. However, once you start holding yourself accountable to your new routine, it’ll become easier to find a balance between working and relaxing.

Krystal Draidfort

West Chester '20

Krystal is a senior at West Chester University majoring in Communications Studies and minoring in Nutrition and Dietetics. If you can't find her at the gym or hanging with friends, you can find her listening to her favorite podcasts or binge-watching her favorite lifestyle Youtuber's. Post-grad, her goal for the future is to obtain a job in digital marketing or public relations.
Contributor account.