This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at West Chester chapter.

It was a special occasion this past weekend, my golden birthday, and my wonderful boyfriend took me to a hidden little ice cream shop in his hometown. We went to La Chispa Creamery, an authentic hand-crafted Mexican ice cream shop. It was well worth the thirty-minute wait, for the delicious specialty milkshake.

I have had the opportunity to try their specialty milkshakes twice now. Most recently the Marshmallow Brownie shake. It was very busy, and unfortunately, they ran out of chocolate ice cream for the milkshake, so we settled for vanilla. That did not alter how amazing the milkshake was. The cup was coated in chocolate syrup and cookie dust. It was also topped with toasted marshmallows, brownies, an oreo, and my favorite, the chocolate-covered pretzel. It was so big that my boyfriend and I split the shake. Previously we had gone in the summer, and we selected the Peanut Butter Fudge Milkshake, which includes Reeses PB Ice Cream, Hershey’s Fudge, Reeses Cup, Reeses Pieces, and a Peanut Butter Cookie. As someone who eats peanut butter from a jar with a spoon, this was by far my favorite.

I have not yet had any of the other specialty milkshakes, as they are a bit pricey ($13.99), but the other options include Cookie Monster, Toasted S’mores, Strawberry Shortcake, Sweet & Salty, Fruity Pebble, and Cotton Candy. Not only are all of these milkshakes mouth-watering, they are so delicately designed that you cannot help but take a picture to post to your IG story. During certain holidays they will have a limited-time featured specialty milkshake. Due to it being St. Patrick’s Day weekend on my last visit, they had a Royal Mint Milkshake that was very green. I voted for this to be our choice, but my boyfriend thinks mint should be a toothpaste flavor. I know mint ice cream is an acquired taste, and luckily I have it.

Some of the other dessert options include Peanut Butter Lava Cake, Vanilla Creme Brulee, Banana Bread Pudding, Espresso Frappe, Banana Splits, Smoothies, Churros, fun ice cream scoops such as Mint Avocado Chip, and Caramel Tres Leches Cake, and waffle cones with interesting toppings such as fruity Pebbles.

https://www.facebook.com/lachispacreamery/

La Chispa is located in West Grove PA at 302 E Baltimore Pike, West Grove, PA 19390. If you take Route 1 and get off the West Grove Exit it is only a 30 minute drive from West Chester. They are open Monday- Friday 2:00 PM-9:00 PM, and Saturday and Sunday 12:00 PM-9:00 PM. Even though they were short staffed, the time we spent there was appreciated, staff voiced their appreciation as we ordered and paid. I highly recommend you stop by La Chispa Creamery next time you have a craving for something sweet.

Julia Harpel

West Chester '23

Julia Harpel is a senior editor and student at West Chester University. She is working towards her BSED English Writings Track with a Creative Writing Minor. She hopes to one day earn a Master's Degree. Julia is a mental health advocate, environmentalist, and feminist. When she is not at school, at work, writing, or reading, she loves to spend time with friends, go on adventures such as kayaking, and listen to country music.