breakfast brunch toast granola food
breakfast brunch toast granola food
Tessa Pesicka / Her Campus
Life > Experiences

Five West Chester Area Food Recs

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at West Chester chapter.

Now that we’ve reached the homestretch of the semester, I’d like to reflect on some of the different places – whether cafes, delis, or restaurants – that I’d visited in my first semester at West Chester as a transfer student. 

West Chester is renowned for its walkable downtown area lined with a multitude of locally-owned small businesses, boutiques, cafes and restaurants. Here are some of my food rec’s for students, locals, or if you ever find yourself in the Main Line area! 

1. I want to start off with my favorite spur-of-the-moment find, possibly ever. Perfect for the crisp fall weather day I went on, but too chilly for the outdoor seating I’d initially reserved. I’m thankful it was drizzly that day, otherwise I never would’ve eaten inside of the stunning greenhouse cafe that is Terrain.

Terrain is a verdantly beautiful cafe that is part of the URBN brand, which includes Urban Outfitters, Anthropologie, Nuuly, and Free People. Glen Mills makes up one of only eight Terrain US locations. That’s only about a 20-minute drive from campus! You can laugh at me, but I didn’t even know that Terrain is not solely a cafe, but also a garden and home decor shop. The essence of the green environment is one that left me wanting to plan my second trip before my first was even over. Among the haven of brunch and dinner options, my best friend and I each chose the brioche french toast and I ordered a seasonal blueberry lemonade. The french toast was incredibly thick, fluffy and filling. I also adore just about anything and everything apple, which the toast had an ideal amount of – topped with soft cinnamon apple slices. My lemonade was perfectly tangy, too! Of course, the people also make the place and the Glen Mills location wouldn’t be as exceptional without the kind-hearted staff. I still remember a waitress complimenting my tote bag. As I mentioned before, Terrain is a rarity and we are so lucky to have a nearby location.

Definitely add it to your list of brunch date spots! 

IMG 7060 rotated

IMG 7058 rotated

2. If you’re looking for a more casual and laid-back lunch spot on the inexpensive, yet modestly casual side, step in to West Chester’s own The Social. Though not what I envisioned going in, the dimly-lit atmosphere and literally fabulous playlist will send me back sometime soon. If you’re from a small suburb like me, The Social has the same ambiance of a boisterous lunch and dinner spot with an accompanying bar. 

I ordered the Specialty Burgers Bourbon Street which was bigger than my face, yet another thing I boxed for home (a common theme in my life). I’d like to note I am not a foodie, so to my surprise the “fried” pickles were actually fried in the burger and resembled chicken nuggets. They were honestly better to eat separately than simply as a burger topping! The bourbon burger is one of three parts of The Social’s specialty burgers on the list of entrees, topped with applewood smoked bacon, smoked cheddar cheese, and voodoo BBQ Ranch. 

All around, it carried a perfect hometown vibe and I was delighted to share my experience with another hometown friend. 

3. A different addition on my list is Country Bagel and Bakery in High Street’s Parkway Shopping Center. On my last few visits, I’ve accustomed myself to leave a small tip whenever I pick up my everything bagel toasted with bacon, egg and cheese. The bakery is the definition of old school mom and pop, becoming an essential pick-me-up for me in the mornings and lunch time. 

In my hometown, we have our quintessential bagel shop that you will never step foot in without seeing multiple people you know. This is the same sort of homey feeling that overcame me when I first walked into Country Bagel and Bakery. The Bakery has such a versatile menu with an array of breakfast sandwiches, salads, wraps, melts, rolls and croissants, coffees, teas, and smoothies! This spot has become my must-stop before my road trips back home, too. 

4. I cannot exclude West Chester’s Mayday Coffee & Shop from this mini series. A popular coffee and brunch date spot among students and locals, I’ve also noticed individuals utilizing its welcoming space – complete with couches and rounded coffee tables – for study sessions and getting school work done. 

I ordered the caprese sandwich coupled with an iced apple cider. This coffee shop’s menu provides food and drink that are almost too pretty to eat. If by now you haven’t stopped in to Mayday or have not yet tried the caprese or cider, I would highly recommend either one! I went on Halloweekend, so the cider added a crisp touch to the week that I’m positive some holiday-feeling drinks will inspire – like the mocha latte or hot chocolate! 

5. I have a soft spot for diners and I don’t trust anyone who doesn’t. We have several solid-standing options to pick and choose from in the West Chester area, but I want to point you toward West Chester Diner to conclude my recs. I ordered a chicken caesar wrap with french fries and it was the perfect cozy way to end a stressful week at school. With finals rapidly approaching, check out West Chester diner or another comfy diner of your choosing to alleviate some of the burnout on your plate right now. Comfort dishes heal!

I’m nothing close to a foodie, but I can confidently say that West Chester students are gifted with an impressive variety of places to eat so that they don’t have to resort to the dining hall 24/7. I know most of us are out of flex dollars or rambucks, and there are plenty of inexpensive options surrounding WCU! Treat yourself, you deserve it!

Angelina Stambouli

West Chester '26

Angelina is a sophomore Communications Major and Journalism Minor. Previously, she was a writer, associate editor, and Pinterest Director for Her Campus at Gettysburg. Outside of Her Campus, she serves as Vice President of College Democrats, a Copy Editor for The Quad, and volunteers with Hands Helping Paws!