West Chester?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
West Chester?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp
Photo by West Chester for HCM / Design by Her Campus Media

Daily Habits that Students at WCU Can Take On to Help the Environment

This is a sponsored feature. All opinions are 100% from Her Campus.

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at West Chester chapter.

Presented by Garnier x Her Campus

As aspirational as it is to try to fit a year’s worth of waste in a mason jar – like viral sustainability activists promote – it’s not doable for all of us. For college students and for those living on campus, it can be hard to practice sustainability and pass classes at the same time. However, reducing our waste is not an all-or-nothing pursuit, and even the smallest changes can have an impact. And, luckily there are many opportunities as a West Chester University student to be more sustainable without doing too much. Here are some day-to-day habits that will let you be more conscious of your consumption while at WCU – and be sure to invite your friends to join you in these five eco-friendly habits. You got this!  

Align with eco-friendly companies and products
It can sometimes feel like there are too many brands to pick from for our go-to products, especially in the beauty space. So, one way to filter the beauty market is by purchasing from eco-friendly brands that have a college-friendly price point. Garnier – an innovative skin and hair care brand – is committed to greener beauty and making sustainability accessible. Their products are approved by Cruelty Free International and made with 99% vegan ingredients*, and they’re aiming for their products to be made with 100% recycled plastic by 2025.

Some go-to products (and some of my faves from Garnier!) are the Micellar Cleansing Water All-in-1 Waterproof and Original Makeup remover that pairs well with their reusable Micellar Cleansing Eco Pads. You can reuse the eco pads by tossing them in the washer, and they help save money on makeup wipes!

Another one of my favorites is Garnier’s Fructis Sleek and Shine Shampoo and Conditioner that contains frizz for up to 72 hours, which comes in handy when spring at WCU brings a lot of humidity. And, let’s face it – we all could use some anti-frizz protection walking to classes. 

Give your belongings a second life
While many of our dorms and apartments feel overwhelmingly small, we seem to fit a lot of stuff  in them. But, when the time comes that you want to clean up your space, it’s important not to immediately throw items away, but instead to try to give them a second life.  

You can donate your books to nonprofits and used bookstores at the heart of West Chester, and can donate outgrown clothes to the same thrift shops you can shop second-hand at – which is a great way to shop! Thrift shops are full of hidden gems, especially in West Chester where generations of people live. Another way to give things a second life is by swapping college room decor with friends at the end of the spring semester. This way you get a new theme for a new year without wasting your old decorations. 

Get involved with campus efforts 
Even if you don’t want to spend money to be eco-friendly, you can give your time. There are always groups of people looking for helping hands for their campus efforts. In fact, Her Campus at HCWCU would love for you to join our event, HER-TOWN CLEAN UP! Our event aims to spruce up the streets of our vibrant town just in time for spring, and it’s happening on Saturday, April 22nd 2023 at 12pm around West Chester, PA! There’s also always the opportunity to start your own initiatives. Get out there, and get green! 

Take advantage of the walkability of our campus
Students at WCU have a beautiful, walkable campus. A walk into town is less than ten minutes and once in town, there are endless shops and restaurants to go into. While there is a shuttle to get from North and South campus, the walk back and forth is worthwhile. If you have the time, take a head-clearing walk from your apartment at the South Villages to class on North.   

These are simple habits to reduce your waste and be more environmentally conscious. It can be hard to manage all that goes into our lives on top of global issues, but it’s important to keep in mind that even something as simple as switching to a green beauty brand – like Garnier – has a big impact. Let’s do this together, WCU!

*footnote: no animal derived ingredients

Ellie Perrin

West Chester '26

Ellie is a sophomore Media and Culture major with minors in Journalism and French at West Chester University of Pennsylvania. She is the Vice President and Co-Senior Editor of WCU's HC Chapter. She is constantly scribbling in her "idea" journal her unique observations of the world and her role in it. With interests ranging from reading Fitzgerald to Vogue or from watching Shameless to Trisha Paytas Tiktoks, Ellie's writing comes from a holistic perspective. She is excited to use her world view for her writing and add to her portfolio.