This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at West Chester chapter.

Ladies: bangs and short hair are becoming the iconic look in 2020. It’s a great feeling to know that your hair can empower you, and you can do whatever the hell you want with it. Not only do I feel empowered, but there is also excitement when a hairstylist cuts many inches off your hair. Having the same hairstyle for long periods of time can get tedious and change can be great. Don’t let change intimidate you. Cutting your hair is the way to go.

I cut over eleven inches off my hair, and I felt as if I was reborn again. Changing a hairstyle can give back a connection to yourself because it expresses who you are. I also got bangs. I recall that cutting my hair the way out to feel relief from the stress of studies, friendships, and relationships. Wherever I went, everyone complimented my hair, and I felt unique just because of my new hairstyle. Our hair is a piece of our identity. Chriasanthi Kaliviotis wrote this excellent article called, “The feels of hair: A Lesson in Hair Psychology.” She explains how hair is a very emotional asset to have, since it can change your mood, attitude, feelings, and can even influence the human psyche. She conveys that yes, it is “just” hair, but with small or big change with hair, this provides a change to your identity.

Having a new hairstyle means you can style it differently. I started to discover different looks that would appeal to me, and it was fun to find another part of myself! I began to wear little small space buns when I cut my hair up to my ears with bangs, as well with a bohemian braided look, and I would wear my hair down and let the hair speak itself. With short hair, I learned that I adore jewelry especially hoop earrings, which is now ingrained on my physical identity, seen below. 

Big or small changes make an enormous difference in the way you feel. As a matter of fact, after changing my hair, my style of clothes changed as well. I felt confident. I found another part of me to show to the world. The change of my hair taught me to not be afraid to change my “normal” everyday style to a style that I never thought I would look good with. If you’re afraid of significant change, start with a small trim and perhaps gradually cut more inches off. 

Hair will always grow back, but change with hair tends to scare people. It takes time to grow back long. Women grow their hair the utmost length possible that they then feel attached to the length of their hair since they have grown it for a long period of time. Hair is one of the main assets for the physical appearance of identity. Women identified a fair amount with just their hair. You must commit yourself to cut your hair, and if you’re ready for it, go for it! With bangs, if you’re not feeling them, you can always pin them back and let them grow out, which takes around three weeks to transform into voluminous layers. The variety of hairstyles is endless. 

I can say that with my experiences with drastic changes in hair appearance, I do not regret one bit how much hair I cut off. I thank the people who have influenced me and encouraged me to make those changes. I needed those changes in my hair, so I could heal from all that was going on at that time. If you have never experienced a cut that could change your physical appearance, try it out, be impulsive. Enjoy the chopped hair, and begin to feel the magic that your hair gives to you!

Megan James

West Chester '21

Megan is pursuing a B.S. in Spanish and French at West Chester University, Pennsylvania. She enjoys painting, visiting museums, reading dramatic/romantic novels, and learning languages.
Katie Shannon

West Chester '21

Katie Shannon is the previous founder and president of Her Campus at West Chester chapter and a proud alumnus of West Chester University (May 2021). She is a marketing, communications, and public relations professional, now located in New York City, with 2+ years of experience at award-winning companies and businesses. This includes working with clientele such as Essence, Pixar, E*Trade, Morgan Stanley, Primark, Google, YouTube, Apple, Microsoft, MaryKay, Extra, Emergen-c, Maybelline, Garnier, Her Campus HQ, and more. As well, she has shared her time at different invite-only networking events at organizations such as National Geographic, Paka, iHeartMedia, Wunderkind, and more. Located in New York City, Katie has contributed her efforts working with Essence's Planet Team organization which primarily centers its efforts on "championing Essence's sustainability targets and delivering inspirational and practical content around the environmental issues we face today and the steps we can take to address them, at home, at work, and in our communities." Her different opportunities have provided a wide range of experience in editorial, management, analytical skillset, comfort with making data-driven decisions, developing and nurturing relationships with existing clients and agencies to generate renewal business, sales & marketing, events/event-planning, community, design, writing, attention to detail, organizational skills, managerial skills, project management skills, social media analytics, SEO, multi-tasking, written and verbal communication skills.