This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at West Chester chapter.

With West Chester being one of the best college towns in Pennsylvania, there are so many entertaining things to take part in during the Fall! Whether this is on campus or in the borough, West Chester provides activities for all ages and families. Here are some upcoming events that this beautiful town offers during the fall:

October 1- Fall Foliage Express

This train ride is an exciting recurring event in the fall! With many opportunities and dates available, you can take a train ride around the beautiful sights of Chester Creek Valley. Even though the tickets are $22 for adults, you definitely get your money’s worth by riding this train for about an hour and a half. Stations stopped include the Westtown station, the 19th century village and station at Cheyney, Locksley Station, and finally the picturesque village of Glen Mills.

All October- Gay Street Open-Air Market

Every Friday, Saturday, and Sunday, West Chester closes off 4 blocks of Gay Street to open up the area for residents to shop, eat, and walk around town. Until October 29, these streets will be shut down during the weekend. Students, families, and friends come together on the weekends to explore the many opportunities downtown. If you ever get a chance, definitely walk into town to grab a bite to eat or shop!

October 8- Chili Cook Off

The Chili Cook off! One of my absolute favorites. You cannot miss this one time event on October 8th. Chefs from all over Pennsylvania come to the borough of West Chester to show off their chili flavor combinations. With only a $10 entry fee- you are able to walk around to 50+ stands all over the streets downtown, taste every sample, and vote for your ultimate favorite chili. Not only this, but this event makes an even bigger impact on the community than just amazing flavors. Last year, they were able to raise $60,000 toward Food, Clothing & Shelter for the needy of Chester County. This event is a must go to!

October 25- Annual West Chester Halloween Parade

This one time event is an unforgettable experience! At just $5, West Chester allows anyone to join their annual tradition! This is a time where the WC community joins together to bring Halloween to a whole other level. People from towns over wear their extravagant costumes or even bring floats to walk the streets at night. This event promises memories, fun, and a whole new experience of what happens here at Halloween!

halloween costumes enneagram types?width=1024&height=1024&fit=cover&auto=webp
Scott Yamano/NETFLIX © 2020

October 29- Railroad Halloween Special

As beautiful and historic the train rides already are, they just get even better! Offered at only a few select dates, the West Chester borough puts on a show during Halloween. Unlike the 90 minute train, this ride takes a 20 minute stop at the historic Glen Mills station. During this time, passengers can get out of the train to collect candy and take a look at the historic station and picnic grove. This family friendly ride will have everybody involved and having a good time!

West Chester provides a good time for everyone- whether you are bringing your family, a group of friends, or work group. There are endless activities that take place in the borough all throughout October and fall. Do not miss out on any of these amazing opportunities and fun!

Macarthy Keane

West Chester '26

Gymnast at West Chester University Writer for Her Campus at WCU