DVF\'s Own It: The Secret to Life book
DVF\'s Own It: The Secret to Life book
Phaidon

Benefits to Reading Graphic Novels

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at West Chester chapter.

Personally, I always shied away from them because they looked like comic books, and I am not a huge superhero fan. Once I figured out that not all graphic novels are stereotypical superhero action figure kids comics, I found my new guilty pleasure. (Shout out to my LIT 398: Young Adult Literature class, for showing me how great graphic novels and their elements are.) 

Reading graphic novels has a number of benefits, and so many stories are enhanced by the accompanying art. Here are some of those benefits.

forced text interaction

When reading a graphic novel, you are constantly trying to figure out the relationship between the images and text. Not only are you paying better attention to the page, but you are enhancing your visual literacy. 

“The images suggest instead of depicting holding room for curiosity. The picture offers an anchor for imagination.”

– Trung Le Nguyen

builds vocabulary

Having fewer words on the page does not mean that the words are simple. Since there are fewer words on the page of a graphic novel, the words that are present are more powerful and meaningful.

helps develop reading skills

Sometimes it is hard to figure out figurative language. A metaphor is easier to explain when images are on the page. Graphic novels can help develop reading skills for learners of the English language, as well as bridge the gap between generations learning different languages.

keep a fast pace

There is no better feeling than closing a book after reading the last word — you have finally finished reading that book. The feeling of accomplishment and productivity electrifies your body. Graphic novels are full of adventure, the pages flip quicker with less words and more images, they keep a fast pace. Thus,  that satisfying feeling can be felt sooner. One of the main reasons graphic novels are my current guilty pleasure is because I can finish a book in one sitting, giving me that rush. I read a book in one day!

Here are some of the recent graphic novel reads that I recommend: Borders by Thomas King, The Magic Fish by Trung Le Nguyen, The Wendy Project by Melissa Jane Osborne, The Sin City Series by Frank Miller, and of course Maus by Art Spiegelman.  

Julia Harpel

West Chester '23

Julia Harpel is a senior editor and student at West Chester University. She is working towards her BSED English Writings Track with a Creative Writing Minor. She hopes to one day earn a Master's Degree. Julia is a mental health advocate, environmentalist, and feminist. When she is not at school, at work, writing, or reading, she loves to spend time with friends, go on adventures such as kayaking, and listen to country music.