Style > Beauty

Attention All Curly Girls!: Curl Products for Each Curl Type

The Her Campus National Editors write about products we love and think you’ll love too. Her Campus has affiliate partnerships, so we get a share of the revenue from your purchase. All products are in stock and all prices are accurate as of publication.

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at West Chester chapter.

Throughout my 21 years of life, I have tried multiple products to maintain the head of curls I was blessed with. It is imperative to treat your curly hair with love and keep it healthy no matter what type of curl you are packing. So, this is for all my gorgeous curly girls looking for a new product to try out that suits your type of bounce!

1. 2A: Light Waves

First of the spectrum is light waves. Curl Smith, recommends their product Effortless Waves. This product is a lightweight styling spray to hold the definition in your waves. You can spray this into your hair after the shower, work it through, scrunch, and air dry! A diffuser can be used as well.

2. 2B: Soft Waves

Another wavy hair product for the girls with soft waves is Moroccan Treatment Oil. I currently use this product after I get out of the shower to defrizz and soften my hair, so I think it would be perfect for girls who naturally have soft waves. You only need a small amount to enrich your hair and redefine your waves. Protip: you can also use it on dry hair to tame flyaways!

3. 2C: Defined Waves

Paige Digirolamo, a student at Stevens Institute of Technology, has 2C waves. She recommends her favorite brand Not Your Mothers, Activating Mousse. I have also used this product before and definitely vouch for this rec. It is a light mousse that defines curls and has long lasting protection. Just shake it up, spray it like whipped cream on your hand (but in this case, less is more, unlike whipped cream), work it evenly through your curls starting at the roots and style in any way you like!

4. 3A: Classic Curls

Personally, I think I am a 3A curl type. As I’ve expressed before, I have tried many products to get my curls looking the way I want. Recently, I have been using the AG Hair Care Re:coil Curl Activator to style my hair. When I am going out I usually use this product after wetting my hair and using the scrunching technique. As my hair dries with the product in it, the curls begin to re-curl and get back to their natural shape. 

5. 3B: Spiral Curls

For detangling your spiral curls, Design essential suggest to use their top seller, Almond & Avocado Detangling Leave in Conditioner. This product replenishes the nutrients in your curls that are lost throughout the day. Whether it’s the weather is blistering hot or raining down, this product is sure to liven up your hair. To use this product, you must apply it to your damp hair and work through the tangles with a comb. It is important you do not rinse your hair after so the product can do its magic!

https://designessentials.com/almond-avocado-leave-in-conditioner-12oz/

6. 3C: Cork Curls

Jenna Crummel, a student at West Chester University, has 3C curls. She uses Curl Quench+Coconut Oil, Curl Smoothie from Maui Moisture. This product helps to defrizz and define your curls and shapes them to bouncy curls and coils. 

https://www.mauimoisture.com/products/curl-quench-coconut-oil-curl-smoothie/

7. 4A: Slightly Coiled

Curl Smith also recommends for 4A, Double Cream Deep Cleanser. It’s an intense deep conditioning treatment that moisturizes dry hair. You simply apply in the shower after your regular routine, work it through, twist your hair to lock in the product, and let it sit for 15-30 mins. It will keep your coils looking full and healthy!

8. 4B: Kinky 

For kinky curls, My Black is Beautiful recommends the Golden Milk Defining Jelly. This product is designed to stretch, hold, and shape your kinky curls. You use it after detangling your hair and divide it into sections, use a dollop size portion of the gel and work it through the sections. It works best when your hair is wet.

https://www.mbib.com/en-us/products/defining-jelly

9. 4C: Super Kinky

Lasty for the 4C girls, 4C Only has got you covered! One of their many products for super kinky coils is the Too Twisted Loc, Braid & Twist Gel for 4C hair. This product is a styling gel that you can apply to your roots and style as needed. You can air dry or use a hooded dryer. Whether it’s twists or braids, this product will give you the hold and hydration to whatever style you choose!

I hope this article finds the curly girls well and possibly helps you find a product that is perfect for you and your hair type. Having curly hair can be a hassle, but in the end it is a blessing. Remember you are gorgeous and embrace the curl!

Lucienne Byrne

West Chester '25

Hi! My name is Lucienne Byrne! I'm a Junior at WCU and I'm a Communication Major. I love Art, Writing, Music, and Fashion. Three fun facts about me, I still avidly play Pokémon GO, my dog's name is Juniper (shes the cutest), and I know every Rhett and Link song.