This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at West Chester chapter.

Defined as the sense of one’s value or worth as a person, self-worth is an important aspect that everyone should be aware of at all times. For some, it may be difficult to know how much you are worth but it’s also difficult to realize what you deserve. I’ve seen people think poorly about themselves and believe that they don’t deserve anything good. I’ve seen people think that they deserve only the bad and hurtful things that happen to them. If you had asked me a year ago if I thought I deserved all of the misfortunes that came my way, I would have said, “Absolutely.” I truly believed that I wasn’t worth anything in this world and that I was just living day by day taking up space, without a purpose. When my friends get into a funk where they are thinking badly about themselves and what is going on in their life, they usually come to me for advice. Don’t get me wrong, I am always here for anyone that needs to talk to someone, I don’t even have to know you. I’m willing to listen. Having someone to listen to you will make the biggest difference in your life because you won’t have to feel as if you need to bottle up your emotions and keep them to yourself. However, realizing your self-worth doesn’t happen overnight – it is something that needs to be worked on over some time.

I have realized that with my relationships with others, I tend to put all of my effort into making sure that the other person knows how much they mean to me and everyone else. I’m always giving them constant reminders that they are doing great things and even greater things are coming their way in the future. I’m a believer that everyone deserves to have someone that they can rely on and go to whenever they need someone. I put my all into my relationships with others. I check up on them to make sure they’re happy and in a positive state of mind, I ask how their life is going, how their days are going… I do this because I care. I care deeply about others. I became blind to the fact that I wasn’t checking up on myself. I realized that even though I am putting this effort into making sure others are doing okay, I never received the same support. This began to have a negative effect on me and made me question how much I was worth. Did people care about me? Did I mean as much to them as they meant to me? I didn’t know. I was so focused on increasing self-worth for others that I forgot about myself.

This is where everything took a turn and I made the decision to focus on myself. I wasn’t happy and I felt unappreciated, but at the same time, I thought I deserved it. I didn’t think I was doing enough for anyone else anymore and that they were ready to kick me to the curb because of it. I realized I didn’t deserve to be treated like I was nothing; I was worth more than that. It’s important to seek out those that are there for you and those that don’t seem to care. It’s necessary to get rid of the toxic elements out of your life and when you do this, do not look back. Do not regret getting rid of something or someone that was having a negative impact on your life, and that is exactly what I needed to do – so I did.

Let me just tell you, I am the happiest right now than I have ever been. I’ve started taking care of myself and doing what I love, I’m no longer isolating myself in my room as much and hiding from other people. I’m pushing myself out of my comfort zone and putting myself out there and trying new things. It’s scary but it’s also exciting at the same time because for once, I feel like everything I’ve dreamed of doing is finally happening. I know I deserve this. I know for damn sure that I deserve each and every piece of it and I’m not going to let go of it all. I’ve always felt guilty being happy because I didn’t think I deserved to be, but I’ve come to the realization that since I began putting effort into myself and what I want to do, making sure you are happy, is all that you need.

Commonly, people measure their self-worth by comparing themselves to others, which I am 100% guilty of but I know I’m not the only one. According to PositivePsychology.com, appearance, net worth, who you know, what you do, and what you achieve are the top five factors that individuals compare to others to determine their self-worth. Of course, there is will always be someone that you think is more beautiful and successful than you are, but it does not decrease your self-worth one bit. Not even a smudge. We need to stop comparing ourselves to others because every one of us is our own person. We all have our own purpose to life and we’re all aiming to accomplish different things, so don’t let it minimize your worth. Work hard at what you want in life and believe in yourself, you will set yourself up for a road full of success and happiness. You are completely and utterly worthy of succeeding and reaching your goals.

To anyone that needs to hear this: let go of what’s holding you down in life. You may think the negative weight is something that you deserve, but you don’t. Let it all go and don’t look back, we don’t need the baggage that’s holding you back. Do what is best for you because you deserve to be happy, to believe in yourself, and to love yourself and who you are. Your self-worth is not measured by what other people think about you – it’s only measured by what you think of yourself. Stop beating yourself up and go look in the mirror and take a long look at yourself. Smile. Smile because you are worth it. Your worth is skyrocketing through the roof and it’s time for you to realize it.

For those that need some positive self-worth quotes, below are some of my favorites that I love to read when I begin feeling negative about myself. If you know someone that needs a mood booster and would find these beneficial, don’t hesitate to send them their way.

Having a low opinion of yourself is not modesty. It’s self-destruction. Holding your uniqueness in high regard is not egotism. It’s a necessary precondition to happiness and success.” – Bobbe Sommer

Sometimes the hardest part of the journey is believing you’re worthy of the trip” – Glenn Beck

A diamond doesn’t start out polished and shining. It once was nothing special, but with enough pressure and time, it becomes spectacular. I’m that diamond.” -Solange Nicole

Credit: Cover, 1, 2, 3

Hi, I'm Marly! I am a senior at West Chester University, majoring in English (Writings Track) with a concentration in Digital Writing and Rhetoric. In my free time I love to practice self care, which includes: listening to my favorite music, cooking/baking, journaling, and (of course!) obsessing over my dogs.
Katie Shannon

West Chester '21

Katie Shannon is the previous founder and president of Her Campus at West Chester chapter and a proud alumnus of West Chester University (May 2021). She is a marketing, communications, and public relations professional, now located in New York City, with 2+ years of experience at award-winning companies and businesses. This includes working with clientele such as Essence, Pixar, E*Trade, Morgan Stanley, Primark, Google, YouTube, Apple, Microsoft, MaryKay, Extra, Emergen-c, Maybelline, Garnier, Her Campus HQ, and more. As well, she has shared her time at different invite-only networking events at organizations such as National Geographic, Paka, iHeartMedia, Wunderkind, and more. Located in New York City, Katie has contributed her efforts working with Essence's Planet Team organization which primarily centers its efforts on "championing Essence's sustainability targets and delivering inspirational and practical content around the environmental issues we face today and the steps we can take to address them, at home, at work, and in our communities." Her different opportunities have provided a wide range of experience in editorial, management, analytical skillset, comfort with making data-driven decisions, developing and nurturing relationships with existing clients and agencies to generate renewal business, sales & marketing, events/event-planning, community, design, writing, attention to detail, organizational skills, managerial skills, project management skills, social media analytics, SEO, multi-tasking, written and verbal communication skills.