Molly Peach-Dancing In Flower Fields
Molly Peach-Dancing In Flower Fields
Molly Peach / Her Campus
Style

3 Trendy Ways to Transition Your Wardrobe from Winter to Spring

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at West Chester chapter.

As we, thankfully, begin to approach the spring months, the weather may remain a little chilly, but we start getting itchy to tuck the winter trends away in the closet until next December. Gone are the days that we long to wake up in the morning and throw our favorite cozy sweater over that pair of jeans that make our behinds look fantastic and head out the door all snuggly and cute. We want to stop bundling and start feeling light again. Now, this doesn’t mean we can just start busting out the jean shorts anytime soon, however, it does mean that we can start incorporating little bits of cheerful springiness into our day to day wardrobe through various trends. 

Substitute Dark, Jewel-Toned Winter Colors for Fresh Pastel

The minute autumn and wintertime hit, everyone is so eager to bust out the mustards, the burgundies and the deep teals, leaving all light behind and replacing it with deep, rich tones that reflect the heaviness of the season. 

As spring begins to creep up, it becomes a bit more appropriate to bust out those lighter, softer color schemes again. Instead of mustard, try a nice pastel yellow, try pink or lavender instead of burgundy and light blues instead of teal.

The good news is, you don’t necessarily even have to wear spring or summer clothes just to go pastel. Just invest in one or two sweaters or long-sleeved shirts that aren’t so dark and style those the same exact way you would wear the winter colored sweaters.

Layering, But Make it Spring

Layers in the winter can be intense. Long-sleeved shirts or turtlenecks under a sweater under a big bulky coat made to stand up to -15 degree temperatures. Completely necessary, but no thank you.

With those temperatures hopefully beginning to rise above those negatives, we can start to shed a few items and layer in a way that is more appropriate for the springtime. 

There are so many ways to do this. One of my favorite things is to trade in my winter coat for a lighter jacket once the weather permits it and wear a funky graphic or patterned t-shirt underneath. Nothing is cooler than a retro tee under a nice oversized denim jacket and the best thing is, it’s light but still warm enough that you won’t get too chilly. 

And who said layering was exclusive to our top halves? In my opinion, layers are just as fashionable on our bottoms as they are on our tops and make for a really neat way to start bringing our shorts back into the rotation. One of my favorite things to do when it’s still a little too cold to wear shorts on their own is to wear them with a funky pair of patterned tights underneath. It provides warmth and a quirky pop of pattern to your look.

Black and White is Forever

One of the easiest color schemes I can think of that is appropriate all year long is black and white. You simply cannot go wrong. It doesn’t lend itself to any season in particular and it goes with absolutely anything.

Now, I know what they say, you’re not technically supposed to wear white after Labor Day, but I’m here to tell you that sometimes, it’s really cool to be a rule breaker. 

Whether it is a black and white pattern such as gingham or check, or even just solid black and white, the combo of the two lightest and darkest colors make a perfect pairing that will easily carry over from the winter to the spring. 

As things begin to thaw out, start working the classic white t-shirt over either jeans or maybe a funky pant with a cool black and white motif. Toss on some jewelry and you have yourself a simple yet universal look

Ali Kochik

West Chester '22

WCU ‘22 English Writings Major Journalism Minor Women’s and Gender Studies Minor
Contributor account.