This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at West Chester chapter.

From the Barbie Movie to the Renaissances World Tour–this summer was made for us. Why only stop at summer? Let’s make the last few months of 2023 our YEAR! 

On July 21, 2023, people (specifically women) all over the world stormed the movie theaters. Five-year-old girls, aunties, and grandmothers were decked out in pink: pink t-shirts, pink sunglasses, and pink shoes. The seats were filled with viewers anticipating and eagerly waiting for the movie: Barbie! According to Comscore, the film soared past the $1B at the global box office within 3 weeks of its release. This is the first film, solely directed by a woman, to reach this historical milestone. This is a win for all the girls because a win for one is a win for us all! 

Growing up, I had a few Barbie dolls but it was never a core part of my childhood. Nevertheless, I attended the Barbie movie with my friends (more so to experience the ‘Barbenheimer’ trend). 

***Side note: A few hours before the movie, I got into a car accident (the story of my life lol) so I wasn’t really focused on the movie itself. 

Luckily, I had the chance to see it again because my mom begged me to watch it with her. This was one of my favorite memories with her. My mom is one of the most incredible people I know and the feminist lens really made this an amazing mother-and-daughter experience. The theme of the movie showcased powerful female characters who opposed stereotypes and defied gender expectations. My mother’s immigrant story was a testament and model for me. Her strength and hard work shaped me into the person I am today, and the film was a reminder of her story. The Barbie movie was for the girls, for the mothers and daughters, for the best friends. 

Beyonce and Taylor Swift sold out stadiums with the support of their predominantly-female fan base. The Renaissance tour broke ticket sales records worldwide, as it was the eighth highest-grossing concert tour of all time, the second highest-grossing tour by a female artist, and the highest-grossing tour by a black artist. Many awaited the appearance of Blue Ivy Carter, Beyonce’s daughter. Blue Ivy, an 11-year-old, stole the show with her jaw-dropping confidence and dance skills. The Eras Tour included 146 dates across five continents, and is the highest-grossing tour ever by a woman. In July, I traveled to Kansas City. As I walked into the lobby, I was stopped by a cluster of young teenage girls in dazzling skirts, dresses, and cowboy boots. Taylor Swift sold out two Kansas stadiums, and every hotel room was booked because of it. The tour was for the girls, for the grandmothers and granddaughters, for the ‘Swifties’ and the ‘Beehive’. 

In July, the trend: “Conrad or Jeremiah” was revived on social media. Which brother is less toxic? Which brother treats Belly better? Which brother is cuter? All the girls brought a salty and sweet snack for ‘The Summer I Turned Pretty’ premiere on July 14th; from peanut M&Ms to extra-buttery popcorn to spinach and artichoke dip. 

My question is: where’s this love and hype for Steven? 

Based on all of these life-altering and exciting events, it is more than obvious that Summer 2023 was made FOR THE GIRLS. But why stop there? In the Winter, girls wear fuzzy earmuffs and North Face puffer jackets. Fall is for the Pumpkin Spice Lattes (I highly recommend the Iced Pumpkin Cream Chai Tea Latte) and photoshoots at the orchard. 

Spring is for picnics, charcuterie boards, pink drinks, and hot girl walks. Every season is our season, so every year is our year. 

The Barbie movie reminded us of our power and strength. We are part of a long ancestry line of hardworking and dedicated women. Our ancestors have paved the pathway for us to succeed, so it is only right for us to continue this journey for future generations. There are about two months left in 2023. Together, let’s change our mindset. If you have a goal that you feel like you cannot achieve, remind yourself of your strength. If your anxieties and fears are stopping you from doing something, remind yourself of your courage. Make this year your year because it can be; therefore, it will be. 

Queen Bee once said, “Who Runs the World? GIRLS.” Let’s change the narrative to: “Who Runs 2023? GIRLS.”

Rachel Jason

West Chester '26

Rachel Jason is an Elementary Education major with a minor in Journalism at West Chester University. Rachel's love for writing began in her pink diary and watching reruns of Rory Gilmore becoming the next Christiane Amanpour. She is ready to spark conversations on white privilege, self-love, and her favorite foods! With her beautiful readers, Rachel is ecstatic to explore the world and all it has to offer.