12 Activities For A Festive 12 Days Of Christmas

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at West Chester chapter.

Winter is one of the seasons that provides so many reasons to be happy. It brings a break from school, warm sweaters, time to spend with family and friends, and, of course, the holiday season! There’s no better way to get into the spirit than to partake in some joyful activities. So grab your coat and bundle up, it’s time to celebrate the holidays! Here are 12 of my favorite festive activities for the 12 days of Christmas. 

1. Freeform’s “25 Days of Christmas” is by far my favorite thing to watch throughout December. Accessible from several TV providers such as Xfinity, Hulu TV, and YouTube TV, Freeform airs holiday-themed movies every day of the month. Some of these Christmas classics include Home Alone, A Christmas Carol, The Grinch, and more. Tuning into this showcase of holiday films guarantees a cozy and festive month. 
  2. One of the most beautiful things to witness during winter, besides snow, is Christmas lights. Longwood Gardens, located in Kennett Square, offers hundreds of acres full of shining lights and holiday displays from November 17th to January 7th. With a different theme each year, this year being “A Very Retro Christmas”, the gardens go all out to ensure a Christmas feel like no other. From fountain shows to vintage scenes and dazzling lights, this is something you don’t want to miss!
  3. Spending time with friends is a beloved part of the holiday season. It’s a stressful time spent studying for finals, but it’s important to create time to relax. If you find yourselves stumped on what to do, try making Christmas mocktails (or cocktails)! This is a super fun and interactive way to get creative and show off your bartending skills to your friends. You can taste-test each other’s drinks and vote on the best ones to make a competition out of it. Some drink ideas include a holiday punch, sugar cookie martini, and elevated hot chocolate.
  4. If you’re looking for a cute place to see lights and shop for gifts, Rose Tree Park located in Media, PA is the perfect option. The Rose Tree Festival of Lights is home to the Delco Holiday Village and offers a surplus of local small business vendors as well as food trucks. Speaking from experience, the gift options are so adorable and versatile for last-minute shopping; One year I bought soap with crystals in it and a festive vintage crewneck! The lights themselves are stunning, and best of all, free! 
  5. Building gingerbread houses is one of the most iconic activities to do during Christmas. Although it may sound boring and overdone to some people, there are many variations of gingerbread houses. Target, for one, has gingerbread “houses” including a mini village, barn, tree house, stadium, and more. A fun take on building gingerbread houses would be to give each person a different variation, make it into a competition and see how creative you can get. 
  6. Secret Santa is a super fun and less expensive way to give gifts to your friends! Instead of buying gifts for all your friends, you just pick one and cater the gift to them. This is a more affordable way to show appreciation for your friends during the season of gift-giving.
  7. If you love a good sweet treat, baking Christmas cookies is a fun way to make your own! My favorite Christmas tradition is making sugar cookies from scratch with my grandma (box mix is just as good too!!). We make cookies using our favorite cookie cutter designs, add sprinkles, and even decorate some with icing. It’s a great way to bond and spend time with those you love while also getting to make a sweet treat. 
  8. Whether you live at home, in a dorm, or in a townhouse/apartment, putting up holiday decorations with those you live with is a way to ensure you stay in the spirit even when stressed with school. Decorating a tree, hanging stockings, or even hanging up handmade paper snowflakes can add some holiday cheer to your living space. This is another inexpensive option, as you can get cute decorations from the dollar store and even a mini Christmas tree from Five Below
  9. Although I have never gone Christmas caroling, it’s on my bucket list! Getting together with a group of friends or family and going door-to-door singing carols is an exciting way to spread the holiday spirit to others. 
  10. Ice skating is one of my favorite winter activities. Even though I’m not very good at it, it’s still a fun way to spend time with friends and move your body. There are plenty of ice rinks around, including IceLine in West Chester. Ice skating is also typically inexpensive. You and your friends could even make a trip out of it and go somewhere different, like New York City!
  11. An ugly sweater party is another fun holiday festivity that’s on my bucket list. I think it would be so fun to go out and search for the ugliest holiday sweater you could find, vote on the best sweater, and make a game out of it! You could even combine this with another activity on this list, like Christmas mocktails or Secret Santa.  
  12. For the final festive activity, if the weather allows, go play in the snow with friends or family! Making snow angels and building snowmen with my sister is one of the most heartfelt memories I have of our childhood. Bringing out your inner child and throwing snowballs with your friends is a great way to embrace the cold and make the most of being snowed in! 

Now that you have some ideas on what to do to get into the holiday spirit this December, go out and do it!! Whether it’s staying in or exploring what your town has to offer, these activities present a great way to spend time with loved ones and relax after all your hard work this semester. Happy holidays!

Brooke Darst

West Chester '26

Brooke Darst is a Communications major with a minor in Journalism at West Chester University. With interests in sports, mental health, entertainment, and the arts, she hopes to spark conversations and spread her ideas through writing.