girl boy beach fun sand summer jeans
girl boy beach fun sand summer jeans
Charlotte Reader / Her Campus

10 Things You Experience Growing Up As The Only Girl With All Brothers

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at West Chester chapter.

Growing up with all brothers will teach you a lot about siblinghood, yourself and the world itself. I like to think my brothers are the best and worst thing to ever happen to me (kidding, of course, only the best.) They gave me a very unique understanding of men from an early age and left me with some crazy and unforgettable memories over the years. There was never a dull moment living under the same roof as boys for the majority of my life so far, and sometimes I forget that not everyone grew up dealing with the same experiences that I have had. I am a younger sister and an older sister, giving me the lucky privilege of having someone to look up to and also someone to follow along and learn from. I also get to set examples and pave the way for my younger brothers. My three brothers are some of the most annoying, hardheaded and at times most disgusting people I know. They can also the hardest working, funny, loyal and the greatest built-in best friends I could have ever asked for.  Hey, thanks, mom and dad! Here are some of the most common and eye-rolling experiences I have dealt with over the years.

1. The toilet seat is ALWAYS up

Yes, consider yourself lucky to have never fallen into the toilet from a lack of family members’ bathroom respect. Or if you never found yourself having to wipe the toilet seat, constantly putting it down, and shouting down the hallway as a reminder but it never does any good.

2. Your leftovers will always be gone the next morning, including any snacks you hide in general.

There have been full-on fights in my house because of this. Those wings and fries from last night you couldn’t wait to get your hands on? Gone first thing in the morning. Even when you try and hide it, even when you label it, brothers do not care. They are hungry animals that will feast upon anything they lay their eyes on.

3. Full-on wrestling matches over the TV remote

I like to think this experience has toughened me up and even taught me some new skills and dominance. This was always a debate, which usually turned into a fight, but always ended in some great movie nights with popcorn and laughs.

4. Having a personal set of bodyguards

This can be annoying at times, but growing up I always saw this as a positive benefit rather than a negative. They are the protectors you never asked for but always appreciated. No one wants to mess with you as much knowing that you have three brothers who will be down to kick their butt. Older and younger, my brothers have always reminded me they will be there for me.

5. You are the princess of the family

Well, who else is going to take the throne? Growing up with all males, you learn to take advantage of being the only girl, this means extra perks and attention, and having the best friendship with my mom and most protection from my dad. Girls have to stick together!

6. Always having someone to gossip to and they won’t tell anyone

Half the time they aren’t even listening or care enough to hear about girl problems and drama, but they do listen and surprisingly give some quality advice sometimes too. When they want to be, boys are wiser than we credit them for. I have received some of the best advice and support from my brothers more than anyone else.

7. Growing up around sports and gaining a better understanding and love for them

With all the endless hours and weekends spent at baseball fields and football games and being the added player to tackle football or whiffle ball in the backyard, I have grown to watch and understand these sports. Not only do I scream and yell at the TV and games, I even prefer going on a date to a sporting event among other things.

8. Becoming the overprotective sister

Who says brothers get to be the only scary, crazy protectors? I am protective and judgmental over the girls my brothers bring around more than anyone. I will always be there for them, gladly voice my opinions, and do my best to make sure nobody messes with them and breaks their hearts either.

9. You surprisingly get a lot of hand me downs

I used to be so envious of my friends who had sisters and got to share closets with them, however having brothers means tons of extra large hoodies, sweatpants, tee shirts, baseball caps, and Nike socks. Nothing is better than comfort clothes, and luckily I get to take all of their name brand stuff!

10. You realize life would not be as fun without your brothers by your side

At the end of the day, I wouldn’t trade having brothers for the world. So to all the people who always ask, “doesn’t it suck being the only girl? Don’t you want a sister?” Nope, I’m the sister and I’m glad! Some of the best memories and life lessons have happened and been learned because of my brothers, and I don’t nearly thank them or express my love and gratitude enough to have them. They have taught me the true meaning of siblinghood and they are going to make some cool fathers and uncles one day.

Kylie Pannella

West Chester '20

Hi! My name is Kylie Pannella. I am a senior at West Chester Univeristy. I major in Communications and minor in Media and Culture. I love to write and hope to share my voice and interests with others. In my free time, I love to hang out with my friends and family, work out, listen to music, practice self care, netflix, shop and do anything that makes me happy!
Katie Shannon

West Chester '21

Katie Shannon is the previous founder and president of Her Campus at West Chester chapter and a proud alumnus of West Chester University (May 2021). She is a marketing, communications, and public relations professional, now located in New York City, with 2+ years of experience at award-winning companies and businesses. This includes working with clientele such as Essence, Pixar, E*Trade, Morgan Stanley, Primark, Google, YouTube, Apple, Microsoft, MaryKay, Extra, Emergen-c, Maybelline, Garnier, Her Campus HQ, and more. As well, she has shared her time at different invite-only networking events at organizations such as National Geographic, Paka, iHeartMedia, Wunderkind, and more. Located in New York City, Katie has contributed her efforts working with Essence's Planet Team organization which primarily centers its efforts on "championing Essence's sustainability targets and delivering inspirational and practical content around the environmental issues we face today and the steps we can take to address them, at home, at work, and in our communities." Her different opportunities have provided a wide range of experience in editorial, management, analytical skillset, comfort with making data-driven decisions, developing and nurturing relationships with existing clients and agencies to generate renewal business, sales & marketing, events/event-planning, community, design, writing, attention to detail, organizational skills, managerial skills, project management skills, social media analytics, SEO, multi-tasking, written and verbal communication skills.