sean o KMn4VEeEPR8 unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
sean o KMn4VEeEPR8 unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp
This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at WesCo chapter.

Hi Summer,

Amber here…

I guess what I want to say is, I miss you.

Wow. I never thought that I would hear those words escape from my lips. I never thought that I would be sitting in a library composing a letter to you, lamenting your sunny presence and generous warmth (which at times, I must admit, was a bit overwhelming). Nevertheless, here I am, or here I was. By the time you see this, I am sure that you will be well out of hibernation and shining about just as you once were. However, until that time comes, let what will become sweet words of nostalgia resonate in the depths of your existence.

As much as I adore and treasure the endless possibilities of outfit ensembles that arise out of the crevices of fall and winter, I have concluded, that I am not for the cold. This revelation that I have somehow known but have always feared to admit. I want to love to fall and winter, I do. And this is not to say that I do not love the festivities, holidays, and sentiments that come from said seasons, because I do. All I am saying is that I can no longer, physically – and mentally – withstand the cold.

Please forgive me, Fall and Winter.

Yet, in all honesty, you two are the ones that have betrayed me.

Last year amidst the heart of winter, I was in the streets of Washington D.C. for the Women’s March on Washington. And my life was put to the test. Not by the energetic and full spirited participants and crowd rousers, but by the excruciating cold, accompanied later by rain…pure torture (however the march was wonderful).

Although late fall in Georgia is not as threatening or harsh as say that winter in D.C., my being can tell no difference. If it is cold outside…it’s cold outside. So, Georgia, you need to chill. My hands are stricken with pain and my heart aches for sunnier days.

Summer, you are beloved, and you are dearly missed. I await your return with eagerness and much gratitude.

Until next year, my dear.

Like sun rays that shine through falling water, projecting iridescent rainbows that seem to fall endlessly beyond the eye, one may be just as amazed by the sight of a particular token of the Earth. That token does not resemble that of iridescent rainbows or twinkle like dark, rich, and red rubies, but instead it casts upon the onlooker an interwoven palette of oranges, yellows, honeys, and gold that tends to illuminate even amid darkness. I am named after that token of the Earth, I am fossilized resin, I am Amber. However, contrary to what some may think about me, I am not static nor fixed, especially in a particular place. Instead, I am ever changing and always in search of new opportunities, new connections, new places to go, people to see, ultimately, new life experiences. I was born and raised in Macon, Georgia where I have grown to love the close-knit communities and new communities that have allowed me to expand beyond who I was yesterday. I have a tremendous network of friends, a pretty decent mall at my disposal, and an adorable Yorkshire Terrier by the name of Lukie Skywalker, that has filled my heart and many others. I adore and treasure my mornings which are generally filled with a cup of coffee, family conversations, and the gifts of a new day. Additionally, a general day for me is composed of school work, stomach grabbing laughs with friends, running when I find the time, a pinch of sewing, and a sprinkle of discovering something new, whether that be new knowledge, a new eatery, or simply a new experience unlike something of my own. And now that I have finally gained the courage to construct and compose this biography, I would just like to note that it has no way of entailing every little aspect of who I am or my life experience but it does a fairly nice job as an introduction. Hi, I am Amber Walton.