Resources That Every Writer Desperately Needs: Word-Block Edition

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at WesCo chapter.

Ever find yourself in the middle of a good flow? The words are coming as naturally as air, the dialogue and description are nothing short of perfect when suddenly you’re thinking of a word . . . and it’s gone.

Your flow screeches to a halt.

Your mind yearning, searching frantically for the word. It’s on the tip of your tongue! You reach into the far recedes of your mind, even stop typing and read back what you just wrote in hopes for it re-ignite your memory, only for it to give a vague half impression of what the word was.

Fellow writers, we’ve all known that feeling too well. That devastating loss of what could’ve been . . . Oh! What do we ever do?!

Well, never fear! Now I’m here to bestow the answers!

Onelook.com

Onelook is a reverse dictionary. You have the definition, but can’t think of a word? Onelook has got your back!

Chir.ag

Chir.ag is a little more specific. Moments where you can only remember part of the word, or what it starts with. Chir.ag uses four search engines:

1. Partial word, where you can plug in with what it starts with, ends with, or letters that you know that are within the word.

2. The second is letters, if you’re not too sure on the overall word you can type in what letters this word must have and letters this word definitely won’t have.

3. The third is meaning, with three words you can plugin with a similar definition of the word you’re looking for.

4. The fourth and final is a refined search, where it asks the minimum and maximum length, going as far to ask what the word sounds like. You’ll for sure never have word block ever again!

Rhymezone.com

You guessed it! Whether you’re writing poetry or simply trying to win that rap battle, type in a word and RhymeZone will keep you from getting pwned.

Thesuarus.com

And the ever-so trustworthy Thesaurus. Surely, as a writer, you’ve used this sensible source before. If not, know that it is a very credible site. As the people say, if it ain’t broke, don’t fix it.

Hopefully, with these resources you’ve come to find your word-block nonexistent, or at least a little more bearable. 

Maddy Delaney is the Co-Correspondent for Her Campus at Wesleyan College. When she's not writing, she's hammock-ing, eating mozzarella sticks, or knitting. Yes, she is, in fact, an elderly woman named Edith in a college student's body.