It’s Mid-semester and Adventure Awaits…

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at WesCo chapter.

“Adventure Awaits”

This morning I saw this phrase carved into my mom’s Rae Dunn coffee mug placed neatly by our office keyboard. Someone was busy doing work, and for once it wasn’t me!

Nonetheless, I mention this coffee mug and its phrase because it served as a little reminder for me. This mug reminded me that adventure can be found practically anywhere, and once an adventure is underway, the avenues of opportunities and/or new discoveries are endless!

And as a college student, midterms are just another one of those awaiting adventures.

Even though some midterm exams, papers, or assignments have surpassed us, the acknowledgement of midterms marks the middle and approaching end of yet another school semester. However, the middle of a semester can be quite frightening and frustrating for those of us who have to start considering life after college, for those of us who are concerned with our grade in a particular class, or for those of us who may just be anxious about the semester’s approaching end.

Nevertheless, I propose that the middle of the semester should serve as a time of personal reflection. What is going right for you so far during this school semester? What may need change?  Do you need a tutor for a class you are struggling with? The ARC (or a friend) may be able to help with that! What might you be able to do better in a situation you are going through? What are some ways you can practice self-care and ensure that you are healthy?

Although the answers to these questions and many others may vary, use the middle of the semester to your advantage. Try to incorporate new activities you can do to change up your schedule if your schedule needs some modifications. Give yourself time to relax and enjoy; grades are important, but so is your health and mental well-being. Visit and try out some new eateries that you haven’t had the chance to try – downtown Macon has some great restaurants to explore and get you started!

Just remember, you’ve made it this far, so keep going! View the middle of the semester as another marker in your journey through college. Do not let the middle of the semester intimidate you or hinder you from doing great! You got this!

Like sun rays that shine through falling water, projecting iridescent rainbows that seem to fall endlessly beyond the eye, one may be just as amazed by the sight of a particular token of the Earth. That token does not resemble that of iridescent rainbows or twinkle like dark, rich, and red rubies, but instead it casts upon the onlooker an interwoven palette of oranges, yellows, honeys, and gold that tends to illuminate even amid darkness. I am named after that token of the Earth, I am fossilized resin, I am Amber. However, contrary to what some may think about me, I am not static nor fixed, especially in a particular place. Instead, I am ever changing and always in search of new opportunities, new connections, new places to go, people to see, ultimately, new life experiences. I was born and raised in Macon, Georgia where I have grown to love the close-knit communities and new communities that have allowed me to expand beyond who I was yesterday. I have a tremendous network of friends, a pretty decent mall at my disposal, and an adorable Yorkshire Terrier by the name of Lukie Skywalker, that has filled my heart and many others. I adore and treasure my mornings which are generally filled with a cup of coffee, family conversations, and the gifts of a new day. Additionally, a general day for me is composed of school work, stomach grabbing laughs with friends, running when I find the time, a pinch of sewing, and a sprinkle of discovering something new, whether that be new knowledge, a new eatery, or simply a new experience unlike something of my own. And now that I have finally gained the courage to construct and compose this biography, I would just like to note that it has no way of entailing every little aspect of who I am or my life experience but it does a fairly nice job as an introduction. Hi, I am Amber Walton.