This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at WesCo chapter.

Holiday season is coming! Shopping for the perfect gift can be hard, no matter the time of year, but during the season it can be extra stressful. DIY (Do It Yourself) gifts are very personal; here are some tried-and-true DIY gift ideas to use no matter the occasion. 

1. Paintings. Canvas from your local craft store, some acrylic paint, and a pencil will have you on your way to a great gift. There are lots of step-by-step guides online for all kinds of images. My greatest challenge has been with quotations I want to paint, but if I trace my path with pencil before actually using paint, I have an easy guide to follow and it comes out much prettier. 

2. Mini painting magnets. Paint a mini canvas (1-2 inches) and when it’s dry, hot glue small magnets to the back. These are such cute gifts, seriously! They don’t have to be super complex and they are easy to make in batches. 

3. Gift baskets. Your “basket” can be an actual basket (maybe dressed up with some ribbon) or it can be a cute box, or a crate, or whatever will hold what you’re putting in it. At Christmas, something my family does is exchange baskets with a couple of homemade food items and a few other things, like an ornament, a scented candle, a household item, or something like that. Some people choose themes, like “movie night”; this basket could contain a couple of movies, some popcorn and theater snacks, and even a gift certificate for the local movie theater. The possibilities are endless. 

4. Beverages. Sometimes I make hot chocolate mix from scratch, or I’ll buy different kinds of tea or coffee and give them in cute bundle with a pretty teacup or coffee mug. These gifts are best given to those who love them; don’t just hope someone likes tea or coffee or hot chocolate. 

5. Scrapbooks. These are super personal and you can do whatever you want with them. Some people just use photos, others add mementos like ticket stub and wrist bands, etc., and still others like to add captions and stickers. My family does a little of everything. 

Good luck, and have fun!

Natalie is a writer and a double major at Wesleyan. She is also the oldest sibling in a large family and a nerd. In her spare time, Natalie enjoys reading, baking, hammocking, and watching fantasy/sci-fi.
Maddy Delaney is the Co-Correspondent for Her Campus at Wesleyan College. When she's not writing, she's hammock-ing, eating mozzarella sticks, or knitting. Yes, she is, in fact, an elderly woman named Edith in a college student's body.