samantha gades BlIhVfXbi9s unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
samantha gades BlIhVfXbi9s unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp
This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at WesCo chapter.

I rarely had difficult teachers growing up.

Throughout middle and high school my teachers were normally thoroughly educated and passionate about their content matter (or put on the good front that they were) and for free public education, they worked harder than necessary sometimes because they enjoyed doing just that: teaching. Not always would I understand what was going on, but that did not take away from the teachers being damn good. I was lucky throughout my entire academic career.

I went to college with the same expectations. Not only were they met but they were surpassed!

Until it all hit the metaphorical ceiling fan.

My first encounter with a bad teacher had strutted across my battleground. Now, as a student I have always been easier on teachers and understanding because I know what it’s like being a student. Slacking off and not doing work, making excuses and hoping they glide past, getting sick and skipping, I have seen it all. I haven’t been a teacher, and with no plans to be at the moment, I allowed them grace and patience. Yet in one fell swoop, my entire amazing teacher reign crashed down around me.

I tried to navigate their perspective and how they must be struggling with the class too, but eventually, I had to realize: I’m making excuses for a class I’m paying to be in. College isn’t free public education, it’s my parents saved funds, their biweekly paychecks, my summer job savings, it’s everything in my monetary world and it’s wasting away, slipping through the cracks of my fingers. 

It all hit at once when I began realizing the problems were harming other students and myself. The harsh truth must be told; If students don’t feel the desire to be apart of a class or put in the effort, you can’t make them!

Yes, that’s tough but that means it’s back to the drawing board for your lesson plan, teachers. Let’s be flexible now! You can’t continually hound students with the same content and expect new results. It not only hurts the students but it also wastes your class time. The time spent in class needs to push the students, make them understand or think harder. If the content is repetitive and (a little) bland, students’ minds are going to be on the next train out of town.

Roping that focus in is hard, and keeping it is even harder, but read the classroom and it’ll show you exactly how to do it. When do students most speak? What questions spark the most reaction and response? What content has gained the most footing and is most commonly brought up again? Do your students like a little competition? These are the important questions folks!

Now as a student I could be just stuck between a rock and a hard place with how I feel currently, and I know it’s temporary, as I hold on to the glimpse of change in the classroom. So past, current, and future educators thank you for everything. I know it’s hard and it will continue to be so but throw a bone to your students and try something new in the classroom every once in a while. Next week try out relay races, coded handshakes, and maybe a riddle or two?!

OR maybe just a simple Kahoot.