9 Foods Every College Student Should Know How To Make

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at WesCo chapter.

You know the stereotype, right? That college students live on cereal and ramen noodles? I am sure a lot of you like cereal and ramen noodles, but in case you want to break the monotony, here are some foods that I have tried and require little prep. 

Dorm Room Pizza – This cooks pretty quickly and is super yummy! I like to use naan from Aldi, but you can use other flatbreads, too, or even crescent rolls from the store (I use those to make mini calzones!!). I also use bagels sometimes; they’re a little heavier, but that makes them a great comfort food. Next, you just need your desired pasta sauce and toppings. If you are using pre-made dough, follow the cooking directions on the container. If you’re using a flatbread or bagels, cook until your cheese is fully melted and you can see the edges of your other toppings (if you have any) start to darken. 

Omelet – This just takes eggs and whatever you want in it, and it’s only a little harder than making scrambled eggs because you can’t move them around. Please, please, please do NOT try to make the omelet flip in the air. 

• CHEAT: if you don’t want to flip and fold your eggs, or you just don’t have the right stove or pan available, you can scramble eggs in a cup (30 second intervals in the microwave, mixing occasionally) and put your toppings in that; it’s not exactly an omelette, but it tastes the same and it’s SO much easier. 

No-Bake Cookies – I am not going to give you the ingredients for this because there are a lot of easy recipes that take different things. The big thing to remember is oatmeal. And chocolate. 

Quesadillas – These also have lots of variation, so do a quick Google search and go crazy with the mini tortillas! (HINT: Most quesadillas can be made in the microwave.)

Mac ‘n’ cheese – The easiest thing to do, especially in a dorm room, is the boxed stuff. I personally can eat an entire cooked box in one sitting, but that’s considered unhealthy, so save your leftovers for the next meal. 

Spaghetti – This could get interesting… buy the box, but only cook a little at a time. You can get pretty good pasta sauce for cheap, and even frozen meatballs if you want. Simple and filling. 

Pancakes – this is a bit of a cheat because there are so many mixes that just take water, but that’s why it’s here! Grab a box of this and your breakfast (or lunch or dinner) is set for weeks. 

Muffins – Again, kind of a cheat because of all the mixes, but easy is why we’re here. My favorite muffin recipe is just two ingredients: 1 box of cake mix and 1 can of pumpkin. Mix them up and follow the directions on the cake mix box for oven temperature and cooking time. You can also put it in a loaf pan, if you can get your hands on one, but muffins are definitely faster. 

Baked Potato – This is one of my favorite foods. The only downside is that the potatoes take a while to cook, so just don’t leave them alone too long; do some homework in the community kitchen or do your laundry, checking on the oven itself occasionally. You’re going to need a Russet potato, also called a baking potato (or, y’know, many potatoes), and they can get pretty big, so choose carefully. Heat the oven to 400-425 degrees. Wash the potatoes with soap and water, then dry thoroughly. Poke the potatoes with a fork or knife in several places, then wrap individually in aluminum foil. You can put them on a baking sheet or right on the rack, depending on their size. Cook them for about 50 minutes or until you can squeeze them (with your hand in a protective mitt!) and they feel a little bit mushy.  Let them cool enough to handle, then unwrap and enjoy with your preferred toppings! (I like the stereotypical cheese, bacon bits, and sour cream.) 

Bon appetit! 

Natalie is a writer and a double major at Wesleyan. She is also the oldest sibling in a large family and a nerd. In her spare time, Natalie enjoys reading, baking, hammocking, and watching fantasy/sci-fi.
Maddy Delaney is the Co-Correspondent for Her Campus at Wesleyan College. When she's not writing, she's hammock-ing, eating mozzarella sticks, or knitting. Yes, she is, in fact, an elderly woman named Edith in a college student's body.