This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Wells chapter.

You’re never going to believe what I just found out! Loving yourself is healthier than a bag of chocolate! Okay, as true as that statement is, it’s still okay to have some when times are tough. But, loving yourself has been talked about more and more over these past few years. It has helped shape how young people see themselves. The amount of confidence one can strut after figuring out how to love yourself is empowering.

Personally, I have battled with self-love. It’s hard to do something you’re told is narcissistic. However, loving yourself and learning how to be comfortable in your body isn’t being a narcissist – despite what some may say. Think of a moment when you tried on a new shirt, new pants, or maybe even a new dress. How did it make you feel? Did you feel good? That you were actually beautiful? 

Some people can be beautiful and still do not know how to love themselves. I know many people who aren’t sure how to love themselves.  Here are a few ways you can try to love yourself better:

• Take time for you.

• Hold yourself up.

• Know it’s okay to hype yourself.

• Remind yourself that it’s not narcissistic.

• Have a cheat day(s) or spoil yourself.

• Don’t listen to the naysayers.

• Be proud to be you.

You have one life, one body, and one mind. If you want to do something to change, you have to try it for yourself. Yes, friends and others can help, but it’s all about how you see yourself. I could say that you’re beautiful, and I mean that, but you may not think so due to how most young girls are commonly raised. In my house I was taught how to sit still, look pretty,  and always be modest. Nowadays, females have more to say than what they did. Being modest is nice, then again being able to say, “Yes I am, thank you.” can feel liberating. You know you. You know what talents you have, what you can bring to the table, and what you have issues with. Those are your strengths and weaknesses. A weakness shouldn’t be about what type of foundation you use or what clothes you wear. 

Loving yourself takes time. Don’t expect it to come overnight. You can do it! Never doubt your worth or what you have to offer to this world. Show people that big is beautiful, skinny is beautiful, that you are beautiful just the way you are. If you’re looking for more about how to best love yourself, check out this article about loving yourself with your love language!

Hello! My name is Erika. I like to read, write, and dance. I participate in many different types of theater and dance activities in school. When I have some free time I tend to be listening to music, dancing around, or taking a well deserved nap. I love cats, especially my best friends cat Pika. I also love learning Korean and about the Korean culture.
Wells Womxn