Wellness > Sex + Relationships

You Don’t Have to LOVE Valentine’s Day

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Wells chapter.

It’s January, the holidays are over, you may be back at school or work. You’re walking through the store and BOOM. There it is, in all its glory. The dreaded Valentine’s Day section. You look over and see all the red, pink, hearts, and chocolate. You’re reminded of your own love life. Maybe it creates feelings of anger, annoyance, sadness, or maybe even joy! Whatever your reaction is, it’s okay. You don’t have to like or dislike Valentine’s Day.

Even if you are in a relationship, you don’t have to be all about Valentines Day. Have that conversation with your partner before the day comes around. They may be expecting you to want or do something special on that day. The expectancy is that because you’re in a relationship, Valentine’s Day is important. However, that is not always the case. That’s why it’s important to communicate that. Plus, love can be celebrated every day; you don’t need a day to buy something special for your partner or to get romantic/sentimental.

There may be a little bit of salt in your mouth on Valentine’s Day. Maybe you’re a hater, maybe you don’t have a partner, maybe you just don’t get the point. If you want to be salty then so be it! I mean, in all honesty, Valentine’s Day is capitalism’s day of love, just like Christmas is its day of giving.

There is nothing wrong in not wanting to celebrate it or care for it. However, this does not mean, it is a day for you to be nasty, rude or judgy to others who do choose to celebrate it. Celebrations that are hated on can ruin the day for others! If you are someone who gets stoked about Valentine’s Day, don’t shame the people that don’t really care either!

Unfortunately, the world has defined what Valentine’s Day should be. All the movies and commercials show romance, dinners, jewelry, chocolate, bears, hearts, and love. However, you don’t need to have or do any of those things to celebrate if you do. The most romantic gifts and people don’t conform to the norm. Even if you do those things as well, there’s nothing wrong with being a hopeless romantic or being a sucker for love!

If you don’t have a partner this Valentine’s Day, love yourself. Valentine’s Day does not have to be celebrated by being in a romantic relationship. Treat yourself or your friends this Valentine’s Day or do nothing at all, either way, it’s all love.

doing my work for better days.