This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Wells chapter.

Unfortunately, there’s this misconception that Feminism is a man-hating, bra-burning, club for women. Although some individuals who claim to be feminists, may think and do these things, I’m here to say that, hating men, burning bras, and showing up to one women’s march does not make someone a feminist. Often times I think there is a miscommunication and misrepresentation of what feminism is and the goals of it. Some people may not like that it has “fem” in the word, insinuating that it is only for women. In reality, feminism works to bring equality, power, and voice to people on the margins. For a long time that included women. Women have historically been the ones who have been silenced, seen as incapable, and unpowerful.

It is important to note that the Women’s Movement was inspired by from white women living and observing Haudenosaunee ways of life. They saw how involved and respected women were from particular tribes and wondered why they didn’t hold the same respect, power, and praise. The original goals of the Women’s Movement and feminism are not the same now. Times are different and it is not about one particular type of woman. Feminism should work to include all women, all genders, all races, and all socio-economic groups.

Creating a space for women to talk, create plans, empower and work is so important. A lot of the world’s power is in the hand of peoples who don’t look, think or exist like most women today. It can be exhausting and frustrating to feel defeated by a system you work for every day. Then to have people who aren’t like you make decisions about your life through the laws, programming, and institutions is BULLSHIT.

The trope of the angry female is based in rage, hurt, the ‘you can’ts’, the “not enough” and all the other things that women are told on a daily basis. Because many females experience these comments and attitudes towards them, it is important to band together. We cannot have women constantly bringing each other down for the oppressor. Women need to stop seeing each other as competition. Women need to stop thinking that they are the better of the worse.

You do not have better hair. You don’t have a prettier eye color. You don’t have nicer clothes. You’re not prettier because you get more love interests. You are not more beautiful because you are a certain weight. You are not smarter because of your GPA. These comparisons should not be used to make yourself feel better. Instead, maybe you’re better because you stand up, band together, love, raise your fist, empower and love other women.

Feminism is a fight towards equality and justice for you and me. I say I’m a feminist. I say it proudly and loudly.

doing my work for better days.
Wells Womxn