This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Wells chapter.

Depression presents you with new challenges every day. Many people, myself included, struggle every day completing small tasks, starting with getting out of bed. On a good day, I can get out of bed without much trouble, but on an average day, it seems almost impossible. I find myself just trying to get where I’m going on time, and then I look forward to the end of my day, nothing less, nothing more. The way we start our day doesn’t necessarily determine the way the rest of our day will go, but I believe that It influences your mood and attitude going into your day. Routines aren’t always effective because we can quickly call out of them but here are a few tips that I have found to be useful in helping with getting out of bed.

1. Whatever you do, don’t let checking your phone be the first thing you do

Not only does checking our phone take up so much extra time, but it also can present you with things that will leave you in a deeper slump. I am guilty of watching animal videos and checking social media as soon as I get up. Though the content I see doesn’t always negatively affect me, I find that the urge to get out of bed is wholly diminished.

2.  Sit up

This might sound very simple and silly but sitting up is the first step we take to getting out bed. Start slow.

3 Create a morning playlist of feel-good music and play it

I don’t know about you, but my mood is easily influenced by music. When I am having a rough morning, the first thing I do is play something by The Temptations. That is just my personal preference but finding music that will alter your mood even slightly can make all the difference.

4. Light Therapy

A few months ago I came across an article where a Psychologist was discussing a form of therapy called bright light therapy which is recommended for people with severe seasonal depression and sleep disorders. I read this and interpreted it in a way that would work for me so the next step I usually take is pulling up my blinds all the way up. I love natural light, and if I need the extra boost, I open the window for some fresh air. This helps me get into the mindset of taking on my day full on.

5. Think about the little things you have to look forward to

I usually tell myself that I have coffee to look forward to. I remind myself of the beautiful faces I have to see, the people I love, the food I have to eat. Again these seem silly, but these are the simple things that get us through our days.

6. Sometimes you need to stay in bed

There will be days where nothing seems to work, and that’s ok. There are days where you are too sick with a stomach bug, a cold, or the flu and you stay in bed, and the same concept applies for your mental health. If taking on the day seems impossible, then take the day for yourself.

Jahaira is a double major in Psychology and Women's and Gender Studies and a campus correspondent for the Her Campus chapter at Wells College. 
Wells Womxn