Style

Victoria’s Secret Says My Body Can’t Be Fantasized?

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Wells chapter.

Victoria’s Secret… really girl? REALLY?!

After the 2018 annual Victoria’s Secret Fashion show, speaker Ed Razek had a few things to say in regard to his personal views and explanations as to why there are no plus-size and/or transsexuals included in his runway show. After being asked whether or not he thinks non-traditional models should be included in the fashion show, he firmly and unapologetically said “No.”  His reasoning? That Victoria’s Secret represents a fantasy, a “42-minute entertainment special.” Hmmm… Mr. Razek, on behalf of the plus-size community, I have just a few questions…

Where exactly does the fantasy lie? By saying this, not only did he imply that transsexual and plus-size women are not fit to be on his runway, but that the ideal fantasy of a woman is one that is structured and invariable. That women who are thin, toned and dressed in “barely-there” pieces are the sort of forbidden sexy women that are dreamt about, and that transsexual beings, and thicker, plus-sized women are unsexy, unwanted and have no place in modern “fashion”. What kind of example is that, Mr. Razek?

We live in a very progressive world, and barriers are constantly being broken. Women in fashion have overcome various obstacles, changing the world of fashion. With plus-sized models like Ashley Graham and transsexual women like Gigi Gorgeous taking the runway by storm, there is no room for such regressive, small-minded comments. Victoria’s Secret is one of the only brands that blatantly spit in the face of non-fantasy conforming women that live each day in a body that is scrutinized by the image that the VS brand paints.

Young girls and women now more than ever struggle with their identities and body images. Prices for plus-size bras and panties are jacked up unfairly each day, putting thicker women at a disadvantage. This is not to say that women on the opposite side of the body spectrum do not struggle as well, but this IS to scrutinize the comment that VS has made in regard to the conscious choice to only cater to women outside of the plus-sized category. It is hard for thick women to feel sexy in a world that is exposed to the fantastical VS angel that struts the runway in their tiny bikinis and overpriced decorative wings. The same can be said for transsexual women who look to confirm their new identities and bodies with beautiful bras and lace thongs. These types of women face hate and terrible comments each day from their communities, and to have a high-end fashion brand reaffirm that their bodies and identities do not make the cut is quite damaging to the soul. To me, Mr. Razek, fashion today means progressively pushing barriers in society to widen the population involved in the illustrious world. You have not displayed this type of leadership at all.

So how do we overcome this gross bump in the world of body and identity empowerment? We need to keep pushing against the grain as women of all sizes and backgrounds. We need to encourage the brands that are inclusive and further their development with REALISTIC fantasy standards- that is, that ALL women are fit enough to be fantasized about. We need to not only love the skin that we are in but learn how to work it and OWN it, without some billion dollar, small-minded man or company telling us that we aren’t sexy or pleasing to look at. We need to open our arms to our transsexual sisters and hell, take her shopping for lingerie and confirm her sexiness and beauty! Women are beautiful no matter what set of lines their bodies fit. It’s time that this is recognized and brought to fruition.

Hi! I am a Wells College Sophmore, Majoring in History. I am a member of the Wells HerCampus Chapter, and the Woman's Resource Center (WRC). Understanding what being a woman means and empowering females around me is incredibly important to me. I love being a part of something greater, and I hope that I can impress thought provoking insights on different aspects of being a Woman in today's world.
Wells Womxn