This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Wells chapter.

This past weekend I decided to go out with a few friend’s downtown to do something fun for a couple of hours. It wasn’t a planned event; we had decided last minute to check out a new place. I wasn’t dressed for any special outing or occasion. I was wearing a grey Dickies t-shirt tucked in with a pair of leggings and sneakers. As we walked the streets downtown there a ton of people dressed up. There were girls wearing skirts, dresses, makeup, heels, earrings – anything and everything you can imagine when you go out for a night. Then there was me. I was the same age as most of them, in the same scene but, wearing the most comfortable clothing I could find for the night.

When we got to our destination, the difference in the way I was dressed compared to many of the other people was noticeable. I wouldn’t say it bothered me, but it was something I definitely picked up on. There was a point in the night where I stepped outside to find a bathroom down the street. As I was walking, I heard someone yell, “Yas girl you look so good, you are beautiful.” Not only was I underdressed but I had not been having the best week of my life. Even though it took only five seconds for that person to give me a compliment. It made the rest of my night and following days a little bit better. Here I was wearing leggings and a t-shirt and someone was commenting on my beauty. This is what compliments should look like. They should be warm, come from a good place, and be supportive of someone.

I am not here to say that you should go around complimenting every person you see but rather be conscious of where your compliments are coming from. Is it out of spite and jealousy or pure support and kindness? It is also important to understand that not everyone likes to be complimented. You can’t expect everyone to react the same way. While I might hug someone in response to a compliment another may not do react that way. You should be okay with giving a compliment and not necessarily getting thanks or good reaction back. It’s the thought that counts.

Someone doesn’t need to be dressed up in order to get a compliment. That doesn’t mean someone who is dressed up doesn’t deserve a compliment, either.  if they are they can’t either. Be more open to making others feel good and that energy you give will follow suit. Don’t be afraid to spread support and good vibes to others.

doing my work for better days.
Wells Womxn