rodion kutsaev 8P uQaTd8rw unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
rodion kutsaev 8P uQaTd8rw unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp
This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Wells chapter.

Life gets hectic, especially as a college student. We run around with a million things to do, meeting deadlines, balancing work and classes, community service, keeping up with friends, sports, personal life and other activities that occupy our time. When was the last time you checked up on yourself? Asked yourself how you are doing? We can lose touch with ourselves amid the things that we do.

In a 2014 National College Health Assessment, 33 percent of the students surveyed reported feeling so depressed within the past year that it became difficult to be successful in their classes. The health assessment showed that 87 percent reported feeling overwhelmed by their responsibilities. The pressure to not only succeed but to feel fulfilled in college is often overwhelming. Students spend a lot of their time worrying about how to add to their resume, instead of worrying about how to better themselves. As young people who have their plates full of all the stresses and responsibilities college has to offer, we must take care of ourselves first. These are a few things to remember when things start feeling heavy.

Everything WILL be okay: Think back to a time when you were going through a rough patch and thought you wouldn’t be able to get through it. You got over it, and you’re stronger because of it now. Everything truly does happen for a reason.

Reflect on your growth: You are not the same person you were four months ago. Every day we change and are a new version of ourselves. By reflecting on ourselves, we realize things we think we should improve, qualities that we are proud of, and experience overall personal growth. What were you like five months ago? What about two years ago? You have grown so much, and you will keep growing.

It’s OK not to be OK: We are only human. Life happens, and it’s ok to cry, yell, and be down about it. You can’t be the happiest person every day of your life like we wish we could be. It’s normal and ok to feel upset, angry or stressed. Sometimes we need to operate inside our emotions instead of trying to avoid them. This can be very difficult to do but when we do, we prevent the toxicity of suppressed emotions and unmanaged hurt.

Remember, healing does not happen overnight: Getting over a tough time is not easy, but you’re not alone. We have all been through hardship, and we have also gotten through every one of them. Each challenge you have faced has left you stronger. Finding your happiness can be difficult, but that’s the beauty of it. You test yourself and figure out your strengths.

Talk to someone: As overrated and as tired as you may be of hearing it, talk to someone! You’re not alone! Talk to the people that you care about what you are going through and how you’re feeling. There are so many resources out there for you. Don’t isolate yourself, get up, get on out there and socialize to feel better.

Think of what the future has to offer: Think about where you’re going, what do you want in life and how you are going to get there. Do not measure your life by the things that you don’t have but instead of all the good things in your life.

Breathe: Just breathe. You are on your designated path. Good things take time and you are where you are meant to be.

Photo by Pexels.com

Jahaira is a double major in Psychology and Women's and Gender Studies and a campus correspondent for the Her Campus chapter at Wells College. 
Wells Womxn