Career > Her20s

Melissa Burish: Being A Woman of Color in Business (Lending)

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Wells chapter.

Melissa Burish has been working in the banking business for thirty years with a concentration in mortgage lending, community development and CRA related interests. She has spent many years working and networking with local real estate agents. As well as community groups focusing on housing agency’s and financial literacy. Melissa has spent a lot of time presenting and facilitating home buyer workshops and housing counseling classes. Although the work is hard, she is glad to be a point person for first time homebuyers and getting people to understand what it means to be a homeowner. 

What has been your overall/general experience as a woman of color in your job position?

My overall experience has been fairly good/positive given the geographical area that I live in. Location and professional level within the banking and financial market impacts my personal experience. If I were working as an executive or at a different location my experience would be a little different. For the most part, I have felt pretty empowered and successful as a woman of color in business and lending.

Where do you feel like you excel as a woman of color in this position?

My particular position as a loan officer community development professional deals with so many different people from several backgrounds and communities. Being a woman of color in my field offers a unique perspective that can provide insight, from product development and bank process policies to procedures, that greatly improve the ethical responsibility that banks have as it relates to consumers.

Are there things you wish you could change, if so what?

The things that I would change would be more related to training and opportunity internally within the institutions that would allow employees to move upward in finance. Possibly without a formal education in the field, as years of experience in a particular industry should weigh more in terms of merit, making upward mobility more tangible.

Are there things that help you move past race and gender in the office?

I feel that internal policies, laws and general comrades help move past some of the issues around race and gender.  Diversity and inclusion training within the banking industry I feel has in part has helped in the past 28 years I’ve been in banking.  There has been a difference in my personal experiences since entering the banking field. Because I have more experience now, my confidence and power within my job has given me the ability to handle any conflicts or dynamics that may be uncomfortable. If I ever ran into microaggressions within the office, I found it best to turn the situation around and show everyone what I am capable of.  

Do you have any recommendations or tips for other women of color going into these positions?

My recommendations or tips would be to try and gain experience in the field by starting in entry-level positions where possible. Of course, arming oneself with education and experience will almost always serve to foster more and greater opportunity. Lastly, networking with professionals in the industry is always a plus. The more people you come in contact within a particular field the more doors can open. This includes volunteering alongside professionals. The industry often requires or wants you to be engaged in community development.

What do you hope to see for the future?

I certainly do hope to see more diversity within the industry that reflects the diversity of our communities. I intend to express that diversity is much more than color or gender but carries so much more of the human experience. Working with and serving our communities that reflect the true vastness of our diverse populations seems almost too far reaching. However, I feel it is absolutely what is needed in order to grow the industry and allow for further growth and opportunity for all people and economies.

doing my work for better days.
Wells Womxn