Career

Malala Yousafzai is a face of power: Empowering Women

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Wells chapter.

Pakistan has one of the lowest ranks pertaining to education. Girls only stay in school for about 7 years. The lack of good education affects the mentality of children and adults. Millions of kids are out of school. Girls are especially hurt by these factors. Not having as many girls in schools perpetuates the gender gap. Women are seen as incapable. Many individuals believe there is no need for women to have an education. The funding for education is low and there is an immense amount of inequality between the sexes. Perhaps the education rate is low because the government does not want children to become self-aware. There is a common belief that a place like Pakistan needs outside help. If the people within the country start to think that, too, the government could be overthrown. Education opens up the minds of people and allows them to understand and learn the outside world. Therefore, a “wall” is built around education that only certain people can get to. Not every country believes that education is a basic right. Even countries that have that right it varies between people and the state.  

Malala Yousafzai’s story is a perfect example of the existence of inequality and violence within Pakistan’s education system. Her story continues to be apart of a national conversation. Malala started a blog discussing her personal struggles and life. During this time, the Taliban was banning music, education for girls, television, and the list goes on. Malala continued her studies regardless of the threat. Eventually she stopped writing in the blog. She started to gain global attention for exposing and standing up for her rights. In 2012, years after the blog ended she was shot on a school bus. Speaking up and speaking out was deserving of a punishment and the Taliban made sure that was known. This shows that the role of gender in education is a problem. The ties between gender and power have kept women less educated and the state in male hands.   

Fortunately, Malala survived the shooting. Because of what happened to her she has been able to advocate for education, not only for the girls in Pakistan but, all over. She has given endless speeches at important places with many listeners. Her book has become nationally recognized and she is the youngest person to ever receive the Nobel peace prize. She has created a fund in her name to raise money for women and education and opened a school for Syrian refugees. She is always willing to talk about the facts, leading live chats and creating social media hashtags to generate awareness and support. Her activism inspires others and creates a conversation. Communication and globalization has allowed a rapid passage of information. Her work has created social change and that means that you can create change as well. It does not always have to be nationally recognized to matter. Local grassroots organizing and support is the flame for a fire.

doing my work for better days.