Apple Pie
Apple Pie
Jocelyn Hsu / Spoon
This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Wells chapter.

Despite the fact that many people have decided otherwise, the unfortunate truth is that COVID-19 still has a firm grip on our daily lives. Although some restrictions have been lifted, it is still a good idea to observe as much social distancing as possible and stay out of the public when you can. For some of us, this barely seems like a problem (the introvert in me is always looking for a chance to stay indoors), but for others, cabin fever sets in almost as soon as they settle in for the night. But if rewatching The Office for the third time doesn’t seem to appeal to you anymore and you’re looking for a show recommendation, look no further than Bryan Fuller’s Pushing Daisies, which aired from 2007-2009. 

Pushing Daisies follows Ned (played by Lee Pace), a socially anxious pie maker and owner of the Pie Hole restaurant. Besides making absolutely delicious pies, Ned has an extraordinary gift; he can wake the dead. The facts were these; with just one touch by Ned, the dead are reanimated and functioning. However, a second touch by Ned means that the dead are back to being dead, and will stay that way forever. And if Ned leaves a dead thing alive for more than a minute, something else will have to die in its place. At first, Ned just uses his gift to keep the fruit in his pies ripe and help private investegator Emerson Cod (played by Chi McBride) solve the occasional murder by trying to get the victums to divulge who killed them. However, his life is turned upside down when he hears news that Charlotte “Chuck” Charles (played by Anna Friel), Ned’s childhood sweetheart and first love, has been killed on a cruise. After reanimating her permanently, they begin their affectionate but physical-contactless relationship, since Chuck will die instantly if she so much as grazes Ned. The rest of the two seasons follow Ned, Chuck, and Emerson as they solve comical and unusual murders and navigate the twists and turns of their interpersonal relationships. This show is wonderful for taking a break from the shows you’ve rewatched for the third time in quarantine. In case you weren’t already convinced, here are a few more reasons you should tune in;

-It’s delightfully narrated by Jim Dale

-It stars Kristen Chenowith and Ellen Greene for any musical fans

-You could easily make the case that Ned is Asexual/Demisexual

-The cast is mostly female, with all of them having fleshed out characters and motivations

-Every character is three-dimensional and actually engaging

-All of the murders are creative and funny

-The writing of the show is very witty and intelligent

-The pies all look delicious and will definitely make you crave pastries. 

Best of all, you can watch all of Pushing Daisies for free right here.

Hi, I'm Laney! 19, She/Her, writer, Campus Correspondent, and editor for the Wells College chapter of HerCampus!
Wells Womxn